Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Pulley & chip.

Hi Guys, My G60 is standard at the moment,What better performance will i get out of it with a 68 mm pulley and sns chip ?..having a charger rebuild next month too,was going to have a standard one done but will it be much better with a stage 4 ?...any help will be great...cheers chris.

All relative questions matey. The chip and pulley will make the car much more driveable in all conditions. 160BHP just wasn't enough IMO. Anymore though would have encroched on VR territory. If you have the extra get it flowed, can't comment on the difference it makes cos I have always fitted a 68 and chip when going from std.

You mention stage 4, not going to Jabbasport are you? :wink:

Gavin

If you're getting the rebuild done, i'd say the smaller pulley and a rechip are a great modification to go with it. Though probably worth getting the charger worked on a bit to really get the best out of it.

Every time the supercharger is rebuilt does it take some of its potential out of it. A mechanic i go to said he'd say it probably would.

Sorry if this is a stupid ?

Cheers Guys!

:roll:

worked on = getting the charger ported and gasflowed so that it can produce as much boost as possible... 8)

Every time the supercharger is rebuilt does it take some of its potential out of it. A mechanic i go to said he'd say it probably would.

Sorry if this is a stupid ?

Cheers Guys!

:roll:

Don't know how he came up with that? :?

Charger porting & rebuild, 68mm pulley and SNS chip is a perfect first upgrade (providing the engine's in a good state)

Critical_Mass, erm, that's like saying that every time you service a watch it won't tell the time as accurately afterwards... the mechanic is talking balls...

There IS a life expectancy on the number of rebuilds you can do as you have to press bearings in and out of housings which is gonna wear the housing slightly, however, if it's done properly, you're looking at 10 to 20 times before it gets to a point that there's a noticable difference in the housing which should be 300,000 to 600,000 miles worth of rebuilds working on an average of 30K miles per rebuild... Don't think there's a car on here with that kinda milage on it! :lol:

well, as a guide my car is has the stage 4 jabba charger, chip and 68mm pulley. i also have a stainless exhaust with decat and at the rollers on tuesday at stealth i was producing 189bhp and 187lb/ft or tourque. well worth the money if you ask me

I don't think that's typical power given the rolling rd day I went to recently. Usually you need a FMIC to get that sort of power. All engines are different though

power figures are all pub talk really, but i've been told that stealth have good rollers and it was just given as a guide for the bloke, not meant as a 'you will get this power if you do this'

If you're getting the charger rebuilt, you might as well spend a little extra and get ot flowed. Not only does that mean more boost, it also reduces the internal pressure of the charger under boost making it more reliable.

The chip and pulley will make the most of the flowed charger and you'll find the car totally transformed. You'll also benefit from better throttle response with our No Lag coding.

OK, I think the confusion here is coming from the term "stage 4"

This is just a name for a level of porting that is done. Not everyone uses the same names for the stuff they do...

There's normally 3 levels of work that places do:

1) rebuild including new seals and new bearings (although some places don't actually replace all the bearings unless they appear to need replacing :roll: )

2) Some porting and gas flowing with a rebuild as above

3) Heavy porting and gas flowing to get the absolute max out of your charger and then a rebuild as in level 1

Level 1 will give you a charger that's pretty much as good as new, level 2 will have reduced internal pressures which can result in it producing slightly more boost than standard and running cooler and thus more efficiently. Level 3 will run even lower internal pressures and be able to provide even more air flow to give even better engine power...

The parts used are normally the same in all 3... the difference is the cost of the labour and experience to be able to successfully port and gasflow a charger without screwing it up permanently! 8)

Me? My charger's currently a G-Werks stage4 (level2), but my spare is likely to become a Full blend (level3) shortly as Darren has it at the moment and is gonna let me know how good/bad it is... 8)

Dubcharged, so is there a special price for CF members?!

As if by magic, have a look at the suppliers section for a 10% discount to all forum members! :D