Sign in to follow this  
ghost

abs help

can anyone help .ive just got in my 96 corrado vr6 and the abs stayed on and the worst thing is i was gonna drive it to bug jam in 2 days time . i live out in the sticks and its hard to find someone to look at it quick so is there anything i can try tomorrow ? and does the break pads have anything to do with it cos i know they are worn ps thanks for your help

Adam :(

don't know if the pads have wires in them to tell if the pads are low check the hand book to see what options the abs light comming on gives you

sometimes the abs sensors get coated in brake dust and stop working until they are cleaned try cleaning then with brake cleaner or similar

should be ok to drive with to abs light on

sorry but all i can think of no abs on my car so it a bit of guess work

Rob

Don't think UK Corrados got brake pad thickness sensors.

If the light's on, it just means the ABS is disabled. VAG-COM or VW 1551 diagnostics tools is the quickest way of finding out what's wrong. But in the meantime your brakes will STILL WORK.

ABS Lamp means obviously ain't working but the faults behind it are numerous.

The obvious is to put diagnositcs on it to find what fault.

Given that isn't to hand, measure the sensors 1.2 kohm +/- 0.3k ohms. Outside this value & tolerance or open circuit is what you may find. Fronts have plugs at the wheel hubs, look for the black wire in plastic carier. Also WD40 these connections when done as moisture is another trickster here, given the recent rain. Rear's, lift the rear seat squabs, black torpedoe connections, separate and same resistance checks.

After that, diagnostics rather than further guesses.

Good luck