Sign in to follow this  
reaper1_3

1.8T 20v upgrade

well am looking into upgrading my humble 2ltr 16v to a 1.8t 20v was wondering what i need obviously the engine! would i need a new wiring loom and gear box etc??

any advice would be appreciated...

:D

You would need the loom, maf, ecu...etc. Your trans will bolt up to the 1.8t block. I think you would also need the engine mount brackets off of your 2.0. I know you'll need the rear for sure. You also may need a signal converter for the tach.

VR6 clutch cos the 20V ones are pants.

There are a few folk on here that ahve done this job. Bolting the bits in is easy but making it run can be a bit more complex.

Ben Leach does a plug and play stand alone ECU for 20VT conversions which is mapped to take the 150 to 200 HP. Its about 6-900 quid I think. Might save some grief. It'll cost you around 4-500 to get one mapped anyway.

He was supposed to be working on a conversion for 210/225 engines too. Not sure if that is sorted yet or not.

I like the idea of standalone if you plane on doing a series of upgrades later then you can map it yourself if you dare!!

Gavin

Gavin

He's using the 16v tranny...unless the 16v's are different in the UK...it won't fit.

Standalone is good...if you know how to tune it.

Ok then mate, a new 16V clutch cos the 20Vt ones are pants :mrgreen:

The standalone stuff from Ben Leach comes mapped already.

Gavin

I assume a custom downpipe from the turbo and exhaust are needed aswell for the conversion? And what about Intercooler, use 1.8T easily or custom? Im about to get a BAM engined 225bhp 20vT and running it on DTA management for my daily driver Corrado 16v, only after about 250-280bhp from it, just wondering if I need custom its or can use mostly the 1.8T's bits? Sorry if im stealing the thread!

Thanks Paul

No probs paul!! any advice with regards to this is greatly appreciated, bigger project than ive undertaken before....