Sign in to follow this  
Borat

No Brakes!!!

Evening ladies and gents,

I could do with your help. Replaced all the pads and discs on the corrado (2.0) 16v about 3 months ago and the mechanic recommended that i bleed the brakes. So i did in the way that they described. However, bled them and had a few problems in that most of the time the pedal would not go all the way down. Now, that the pedal does go all the way the brake pedal is really light and there is no pressure and thus no brakes. We thought that it may be a nackered master cylinder but not sure?? happened to anyone? what do ya think??

Cheers guys

Borat :cry:

Pedal never goes all the way down unless you open both front or rears together. If only opening only one bleed nipple at a time, the other brake circuit is still working normally, so the pedal only goes a fair way down.

If you've "pumped" the pedel and heated up the master cylinder until it felt "rubbery" as you pushed down, not smooth and silent, then it is quite likely that the master cylinder has gone but it does mean that you've blown both parts of the master cylinder. Alternatively, you have introduced air into both circuits at the calipers. Find it hard to believe both parts of the master cylinder has gone.

To get rid of air if it is there..... On a flat surface for the car, open each bleed nipple (4) and allow the brake fluid to free flow out under it's own gravity. Shut off each nipple as fluid emerges without air bubbles. Now try the brakes.

If no free flowing fluid comes out of the nipple, then you have possible collapsed brake rubber hose parts of the brake system near one of the wheels but I would not expect all four to be like this. A brake system's plumbing in working order will always flow fluid whether it be the front and back wheels.

Throughout, keep the brake reservoir topped up and do not allow it to drop more than 1/3 rd from the top shoulder.

right nice one i will check that. Do you have to do anything with the load sensor as the large spring does seem to be very loose even under load?? has got owt to do with it??

The rear pressure regulator must be clamped in the position it would be with the spring under tension whilst bleeding.

You can clamp mole grips on the bottom of it to hold it in place.

May I also suggest an "Ezi Bleed" They are about £15 or £20 quid and make the whole job so much easier. I know for a fact that Halfords stock them but please, for the good of the country try to by one from you're local motor accessory shop. I'm all for supporting local businesses. Once the large companies win the battle and shut all the small spots down we're all screwed because they can charge what the hell they like! (sorry about that, rant over now!)