Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Car booked in at Stealth 1st August....

Got my car booked in at Stealth next Monday (1st August), anyone else going up there? Wouldn't mind someone to talk inane Corrado stuff to while I'm waiting???

Cheers

Got a rattly top end! Hell of a lot noisier than it was, plus the power doesn't seem right to me, probably just needs a setup, but just thought I'd get the masters to have a look, and sort the bloody thing out!

Seems to run out of legs above 5500k, but not all the time! Idle is a bit weird too, some time it will hold at around 1800rpm for no reason, I blip the throttle and it settles down again. Timing is set dead on 6 degrees advance at idle.

I might get them to give it a service too, but haven't mentioned that to them yet. Have been doing the servicing myself thus far! (Probably not a good thing :?)

Ow, bummer mate. Well hopefully the guys up there can get things running with a minimum of fuss for you.

One thing that could be fun - get them to do a power run, see what improvements your head work have gained. Would be interested to see that. 8)

Rattly top end I'm fairly certain is a combination of a worn timing chain and tappets, have you changed either of those at all or has this only come about since the flowing work?

1800rpm idle, that'll be the idle valve. Exactly the same thing used to happen on my valvers. I used to get out and lump it with a hammer and it'd drop to 950 again, or dabbing the throttle as you say, sometimes clears it. Check also the throttle pin switch and / or cable tightness.

Vince is really good on the valvers mate. I've seen a couple pull into the workshop sounding half dead, and they left completely rejuvinated.

One thing that could be fun - get them to do a power run, see what improvements your head work have gained. Would be interested to see that. Cool

Was going to get them to do that too, I would be interested if all my hard work polishing that cylinder head has made any difference at all!

Rattly top end I'm fairly certain is a combination of a worn timing chain and tappets, have you changed either of those at all or has this only come about since the flowing work?

The chain was changed about 5k ago along with 8 of the tappets (when I did the KR cam and cambelt), and the other 8 tappets I changed when I did the head. Which makes me wonder why it is so noisy :?

Vince is really good on the valvers mate. I've seen a couple pull into the workshop sounding half dead, and they left completely rejuvinated.

I hope so.

Do you think I should get them to stick on a better exhaust manifold too? (That's if there is one available!)

I won't be there but the car will be - Vince just gave me the delightful news that bores 1 and 6 were scored - bore 1 badly. Gutted as i was planning to go to indonesia for a three weeks which'll almost certainly be postponed now :cry:

but kinda happy as im getting a fully rebuilt stealth engine wehey!! :onfire:

Looks like Vince might be off to Indonesia then ;) :D :)

Ouch, that is the ultimate kick in the stomach for any VR owner, and unfortunately a common issue on the 2.9 engine. He understands the VR engine better than anyone else I know, so you'll get a good engine back for sure.

I'll be needing a block at some point as cyl 1 is heading the same way yours is, but I'm trying to put it off for as long as poss.

Bummer the car has eaten your holiday fund :cry:

Thats a shame Mr beige, as Kev said i am taking my first trip up to Stealth that week. Unfortunately its Friday 5th, which i cant change due to work commitments the other days.

Any chance you can move to Friday!! Be good to catch up with another C owner!?

I might be able to change it to the 5th, but I need to speak to my Project leader at work, and Stealth.

Cool budy, dont bust a gut over it, but it would be nice to see another friendly face there!

Im dragging a mate along now too. He's got a mk2 with your engine in, but hes just having a rr session. Im after WBs, pinking issues and RR. Plus whatever else falls of between now and then!