Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

is this amp too powerfull???

i have a audioscape sub box with a focal sub..rated at 300watts / 600 max

ive just picked up genesis profile sub amp

turns out its a bit more powerfull than it looked(its only small) will i be okay if i use it with the dains set low [:s] or will i kill the sub

That's some tasty ICE gear you've got there; I'm jealous! That sub/amp combo should be fine together. Don't drive the sub into distortion and you'll be ok.

Powerful amps are like powerful cars, they're governed by user input.

If you want to be safe, wire the 27V2's twin coils in series to present 8 ohms to the amp and it' just tick over at about 500 - 600W RMS. Otherwise parallel them to get 1000w and no more than 1/4 gain....

kev...does more more power always mean better sound???

i.e would 2ohms sound better than 8ohms

i got it 2nd hand for a fair price...should i ebay it and get something smaller?

More power means more control mate. It's a myth that 100W speakers need a 100W amp. I put 200W RMS into components rated at half that.

Think of it as a Rolls Royce phantom that has a 'power reserve' guage on the dash.....wafting along at 60 mph uses 10% of the engines power, unlike a 60W Honda buzzing along at 6 million revs with nothing more to give.

And so it is with amps.....if it's barely breaking into a sweat driving your sub rated at less than half it's ouput, it's going to have oodles of grunt in reserve for transient peaks.....and that's where you notice the sound from an amp that has a lot in reserve.

I'd keep it, just be sensible with the gains. If you ever need more power in the future, it's there waiting to be unleashed.