Sign in to follow this  
64 SPLIT

MOT failure quote?

Just had my Rado fail its MOT on a few things which need replacing -

n/s & o/s rear steel brake pipes from the flexis to the calipers,

o/s rear wheel bearing,

o/s front ball joint.

I've priced these up from the GSF website and if I've looked at the right parts I get £7.50 (x2) for the brake pipes, £6.75 for the wheel bearing and £9 for the ball joint (all +VAT).

What I want to know is on top of those kinda prices (if they're correct) what kind of price should I be expecting for the garage to sort it all out?

As I've moved house its a new garage I've had to go to and they're ringing me on Monday to give me a quote for the work, so I want to have some idea of whether its a rip off or not! :)

all those jobs are really easy,so id expect to pay around £50 for the garage to do it,the hardest part would be bleeding the brakes...but it depends on what there hourly charge is

£50! Thats a good price! dazzyvr6, that cant be from john roberts? :lol: (vw, bosch garage near wrexham)

64 split, brake lines can be a problem. Some times when replacing the rubber ones. The metal pipes that they attach too can snap because of corosion. If this happens you then need to replace the metal pipe work aswell. Which can be time consuming and a bit expensive. It doesnt always happen and if it doesnt its a pretty straight forward job.

Rather than give a price, I would say that to do the jobs mentioned would be between 2 and 3 hours.

If it were me, I don't mess with brake pipes in ones and twos. Just not worth the constant year on year replacemnt. Bite the bullet, buy 6 flexys hoses and replace all the rigid lines in one go. Then you won't be doing one a year for every MOT.

A couple of rolls of copper brake pipe is around £30 and the flexy pipes are about £5 eachish.

To do all the pipes on a Passat or Golf takes me a couple of hours. I use new fittings too. The rear axle ones can be hard due to bad access but Mr Airhacksaw improves matters. Any hard to get connections just get hacksawed thru.

On ETKA you get all the lengths of the rigid pipes which is quite handy. I usually make the pipes up in advance of starting the job.

Its a shame I don't live in York still, I'd have taken your money and given lessons so you can do it yourself next time :mrgreen:

Cheers

Gavin

I'd do the work myself but 1) I haven't got the time as I need it for my daily hack asap and 2) I never touch the brakes if it means bleeding them - my thinking being that if I mess it up then I'm putting myself and others at risk. If I pay a professional to do it then they shouldn't mess it up but if they do then at least I have some kind of come back!

I had a real 'mare once trying to bleed the brakes on my '64 splitty after I'd replaced the master cylinder with an uprated unit (it was drum brakes all round at the time) and rather than improve the braking which was pretty good before, it just got worse and with no 'feel' to it despite going through 4 bottles of fluid to check!!

Ah well, I guess I'll see what they say today...

Been quoted £110 for the whole job, parts & labour. Does this sound a fair price or a rip-off - not had this kinda work done by a garage before so not sure :?