Sign in to follow this  
Aled

Engine cutting out (G60)

Have been having problems with engine starting. Will start OK and be reliable for a couple of weeks then die. Engine turning over but no power going to the coil. Have had all electrics checked by "Pit Stop Developments" and no problems. Also had immobiliser removed with no joy. Is happily running again but for how long? Can anyone help or have had this problem before

could be the ignition barrel.....though id be shocked if PSD didnt check that...they have a really good reputation.

Aled, get yourself a new ign switch to keep in the car incase it quits again. To slave it in you just need a phillips screwdriver to remove the plastic work around the ign barrel. Pull the plug off and stick it in the new one. Then you can start the car with a flat balde screwdriver or lolly stick :mrgreen: Hopefully it'll fail near and icecream van.

DON'T FORGET!!!!! You will need to have the key in the ign for the Steering lock.

Other things, again PSD would have checked I hope, the ECU relay in the fusebox. they sometimes get dry joints in them that make them fail intermittently. The hall sender in the dissy, may be going bad too. Again I would expect PSD to have mentioned that.

If you do a search, this subject has been cropping up regularly.

Cheers

Gavin

Gavin

PSD have been great and spent alot of time looking at the car. Just can't do any more with it for a couple of weeks. Also nothing has been mentioned about the ign barrel. Can the barrel be intermittent and stop power going to the coil?

Nothing has been mentioned about the ign switch. Could this be the route of the problem. Or is there a chance it's something under the bonnet. I nned my car on the road. Having withdrawl symtoms. If it is the ign switch how much do they cost?

switches are £20,, from VAG,,

can be pretty sure it would of been one of the first things steve would of checked,,

as they wear out and for the price of them you prob best change it anyway,,

So will this stop power going to the coil? And if so how come it's intermittent? Is there a way of checking this without having to buy a new one?

£20 from where? I'm having a look on 'partsgateway.co.uk' and waiting for some quotes and been told they cost £55 from VAG.

They are about £10 from GSF and £18 from VAG (depending what sort of discount you get)

VAG ones are better made than GSF but if you are near a GSF branch i'd get one from them as it's just to rule it out...

You can try it without fitting it as well by plugging in the loom and turning with a key or screw driver (just remember to unlock the steering column if you decide to test drive like this!)