Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

toothed belt conversion or stand alone oil feed can't decide

my parents have finally caved in and agreed to get me something for the corrado this year for my birthday (didnt get anything for the last 3 years as when they asked what i want i said something for the car, and they think i spend too much time and money on it ) :lol:

well this year they have said they will get me something big for it, :cheers: so i was thinking either a toothed belt conversion or the stand alone oil feed from g-werks they both have advantages, the toothed belt kit eliminates slip, sounds cool(heard the one on henny's jdub on the rolling road 8) ), and relieves tension on the charger bearings and the stand alone oil feed should ensure the charger allways has a good oil feed which after having a blocked feed line leading to knackered bearings and a stripped belt has left me a little paranoid :pale:

the problem is i am also thinking of getting air con and im not sure how this would effect the pullies i would need for the toothed belt kit.

i dunno what do you lot think?

Have you got an Oli cooler? I would get that before an stand alone feed. I asked the question about the stand alone a while ago, maybe some useful info on that.

Toothed belt drive is good, depends on your mods though, have to be putting out more power than standard to warrant it. Not sure about the air-con thing, maybe give g-werks a call.

I would go for the toothed belt drive, but can really see why a stand alone would be good for the charger...... so not much help really :roll:

yep have got an oil cooler allready and an sns chip with 68mm pulley and boost return mod, i havn't had it rollered again yet but it was putting out 177bhp on the rollers at stealth before any mods.

the stand alone oil feed is good as it supplies the charger with its own pressure regulated supply of oil which can be a different oil to the engine and better suited to the charger, and will also run cool which should help even more, appearently the oil pressure varies wildly with changes in rev's

a mate of mine is hopefully sorting an intercooler out for me so that isnt a problem

not too bothered about big power gains i just want to try and protect the charger as much as i can to keep my mind at rest in-between charger re-builds

I have got the last one - currently sitting in his garage - John says it's only financially viable to get them done in batches of 10

Darren,

thought you told me that you weren't going to be fabricating any more toothed pulley drive kits as well when I spoke to you about them a few months back ??

Cheers

yep i wouldnt mind a price either and would there be any problem with the air con? also what tensioners would you need as you get rid of the sprung tensioner dont you?

the kits are simple enough to fit DIY. the standard tensioner will do the job of keeping your belt at the correct tension

I was thinking about a stand-alone oil system a while ago, ok it should reduce charge air temperatures a little... but... surely the G-lader unit was designed to work at normal engine oil temperatures of 90deg+ (I'm thinking clearances/expansion/bearing & seal specs etc.) would it be like thrashing you engine before it warms up properly, causing premature wear?

I know these kits run with a different type of oil, and that you would get some heat coming through the engine block etc, but how long would that take and what temp's would it achieve?

I was thinking about a stand-alone oil system a while ago, ok it should reduce charge air temperatures a little... but... surely the G-lader unit was designed to work at normal engine oil temperatures of 90deg+ (I'm thinking clearances/expansion/bearing & seal specs etc.) would it be like thrashing you engine before it warms up properly, causing premature wear?

I know these kits run with a different type of oil, and that you would get some heat coming through the engine block etc, but how long would that take and what temp's would it achieve?

Ditto those questions!

I'm seriously considering the stand-alone oil supply but Andy T's comments sent a shiver down my spine :pale:

But... I seem to recall that as long as the oil is rated for use within the working temps then it's all fine, and you shouldn't get premature wear because the oil will be lubricating properly. Not sure about the clearances and seals though...

An added benefit is a much lower charge temperature, with lots more lovely oxygen in it :D

I also like the idea that the usual oil+grit+sludge that circulates through the engine (oil filter notwithstanding) won't be going through the delicate internals of the charger when a separate 'clean' oil feed is used.

Anyone with the engineering nous and experience to answer those questions - go right ahead, please! :wink: