Sign in to follow this  
The-Mortman

ABS Speed Sensor

Not being known for my mechanical skills and not being able to buy an idiots guide, could any of you more experienced C owners provide a 'how to ..' on replacing a faulty ABS speed sensor. VW assure me its the near side front thats duff. I have already purchased the offending part from the WWW but could do with a few tips before taking the wheel off (which I assume is the first step .. or do you jack it up first, I can never remember :lol: )

My C is an M plate VR6 .. if that matters

If the sensor is original it can be an arse, they tend to rust/weld themselves in, PlusGas is very useful... as is removing the carrier and disk to get a bit more access, the sensor itself has a plug onto it you remove obviously and one screw/bolt holding it in IIRC.

I recommend that you plug the new sensor into the loom. If the old one is duff the light will now go out.

I had this on my mk3 and it was the sensor. Before I ripped into it though I had to know it was the right thing causing the fault.

I took the wheel and the brake disc off for access. 5mm allen key for the bolt. I didn't bother with any penetrating oil, I just knocked the fcuking thing out with a big screwdriver and hammer. :lol:

Clean the hole out with a file or something cos I doubt the new one will go straight in.

Maybe an hours job from start to finish,

Gavin

Im doing this tommorow, ive sprayed the sensor/bolt with wd a couple of times over the last few days. There seems to be plenty access with the wheel turned to full lock so if the bolt comes out first time it should be a 10 minute job. 8)

I reckon theres 2 chances of that happening though...

Joe let me know how it goes .. I reckon I'll have a bash this weekend

Gavin, thanks nice idea I doubt I'd of thought of that then it would have been too late

Super, sound advice, thanks.

Just finished doing this, bolt came out easily but the sensor was lodged in there pretty solid so had to take the disk off just as Gav said above. Easy enough though.

How simple is it to remove the disc and are there any torque settings required?

How simple is it to remove the disc and are there any torque settings required?

It's easy mate. Take the caliper off (2 bolts hold it to the carrier) and then remove the small cross head screw that secures the disc to the hub. Screw may be difficult to remove so worth using an impact screwdriver or similar to remove.

Cheers Asim. Do you need the caliper windback tool for this (which I dont have) - i assume the brake pads will fall out too?

I just took mine off at the carrier, 2 17mm bolts at the back then the caliper/carrier and disk will lift of and go back on as one.