Sign in to follow this  
hodgkinsons

Oil Filter Removal

Thought I'd put an entry in for the stupid question of the week award. I decided to change the oil on my 94 Vr6 bought the oil and filter from the dealers thinkin I'll save my self a few quid. Having drained off the oil I cannot seem to remove the oil filter housing, is there a special tool for this or will a large spanner on the end bit do the job with plenty of force? thanks in advance to anyone who can put me right on this simple task.

Yeah it's a jumbo spanner job, something like a 32mm rings a bell.

If not, try undoing the filter drain plug (6mm allen head) which is the silver plug in the middle of the plastic cup. If you're lucky, that'll spin the cup off as you undo it. If some muppet has done it up mega tight, as is often the case, you will need a big old adjustable spanner or you can use a strap type filter wrench.

When you do it up again, it just needs to nip up to the alloy filter housing and that's it. Any more and you'll struggle to get it off again the next time.

Undo the small centre plug first with a small allen key, That drops the oil out of the filter area.

Then put a strap, not a chain round it or find a socket that fits the bolt head fitting around the drain plug area. Make sure the socket is exact size or it will round the plastic, not advisable to use an open ended spanner as it puts too much strain on the plastic. The housing shouldn't be on tight that it takes loads of effort. Fit new rubber "O" ring which should come with filter when refitting.

******* I can't type as fast as you Kev with my thumbs!

Thanks for that guys, I thought it seemd like plastic as it was flexing when I was trying to undo it with the big adjustable. Looks like I'll probably need one of those straps and or a big socket. Cheers for the help.