Sign in to follow this  
andy35554

vag com help abs fault

hi, can anyone help with these fault codes or a little bit more information on the faults themselves, do i need a new abs unit?

Control Module Part Number: 1H0 907 379 E

Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS TEVES 04

Software Coding:

Work Shop Code:

3 Faults Found:

00276 - ABS Outlet Valve: Left Rear (N136)

35-00 - -

00532 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

35-00 - Please Register/Activate

00285 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

35-00 - Please Register/Activate

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 021 906 258 CP

Component and/or Version: MOTOR 2,8L 6-Zyl.

Software Coding: PMC 1 HS

Work Shop Code: 0261203565

2 Faults Found:

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer

P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

00513 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

03-00 - Please Register/Activate

thanks in advance

Hmm, thats the same valve I have intermittent faults with, sometimes my ABS light will stay on after the start check. AFAIK this is the most likely valve to go wrong first. A new pump will set you back £1000+ from the stealers whereas a used one can be got for £50+

I believe that the valves can literally stick which can be freed through various actions. A brake fluid change (if not done recently) is the best start, making sure the system is bled properly (airlocks can affect the pump) and there are other ways to try freeing the pump involving forward/backward braking. The unit is sealed so if you can't sort it and your ABS light doesn't go out after the initial check then a new/used one may be the only way. The ECU may be fecked also?

It is worth tapping the pump around the suspect area to free sticky/stuck parts, sounds mad but I do know of people succeeding with this.

Hope you get it sorted because it is a pain.

As for the engine fault if the car starts then leave it! :) I know people with other cars with the same fault.

I *think* this fault actually indicates an electrical failure in the valve's actuator, not a sticky valve as such. The stickiness of the valves doesn't get tested until you hit 10km/h from the first start, as do the mechanical operation of the wheel sensors and so on.

ABS ECU

00285 is front right hand ABS sensor so the ABS light will have been on or is on. If not, is the ABS lamp filament OK? Check the sensor at the wheel hub plug break. Resistance should be 1.2 kohm +/- 300 ohms. If not, it’s whacked. If OK then WD40 the connections and clear the fault down. See if it returns. If fault does return, check the ABS ring fitted to the disc is running true, ie. the gap between it and the sensor face is constant. If the ABS ring is OK then fit a replacement wheel sensor.

00276 & 00532. First port of call, WD40 the electrical connector’s contacts which sits on the front of the valve block. Clear the fault down and see if it returns. Also, a querk of the ABS is to throw faults when they are not there , generally because of a genuine fault that has occurred, in this case the 00285.

Engine ECU

00513 is a OBD1 diagnostics querk. It indicates to me that you did these checks with the ignition on but the engine stopped. This 00513 will clear as the engine starts. Ignore!

17978 is caused by the immobiliser on a post Oct’94 Corrado stopping the engine starting. At some stage recently or it still does, the Corrado starts on the key and immediately dies within 1 to 2 seconds. The most likely cause is the little connector (brown) which connects the key sensor ring’s cable (shiny black) into the immobiliser box which is located inside the dash behind the headlight switch area. Take the fuse shelf cover off and the under dash panel. You will find two boxes on the lower lip panel of the dash. The immobiliser is the lower box and the problematical connection is the inboard one. Disconnect the connection (3 pin) and WD40 both the connector and the box connection. Refit the connection and gently work it back and forth a few times. Should be OK from now on. See the photo.

As before clear down the fault code, but 00513 will return always if the engine is not running. 00513 as a “hard” fault is different and can only be caught when the engine stops and the ignition ISN’T turned off and you connect the diagnostics in that condition.

wow thanks for all the replies so quick, certainly got a few pointers there, as for the abs lamp, it will come on when ignition is turned on "flicker" a few times then go out or stay on so the abs fault is an intermittent one, can anyone point me in the direction of the actuator electrical bit and the sticky valves, are they on the unit below the expansion tank? i did remove the connector at one point and cleaned up the connections which resulted in sucess for a while so i pointed the finger to a bad connection somewhere but cleaning it now does bot seem to work :(

Least of my problems at the mo, just replaced aux water pump and now the main one is leaking!!! just waiting for my local garage to fit me in- currently 25th august at the moment!! someone please remind me why i suffer the punishment of the corrado, ahh maybe it is because the car is so much fun to drive!!!

thanks again everyone