Sign in to follow this  
CorradoKid05

smaller pulleys yay or nay?

Sup again

Just asking any one with expirience with any smaller than stock pulleys and how much of a difference it made on there G60? Any bad damages because of it?

Thanks

Also still wondering about the rsr outlet... how much good? and noise difference!?

Thanks

There are clear gains in performance to be made by using smaller charger pulleys. Personally i would not recomend anything smaller than a 68mm for a road car. Buy wisely from a reputed source, as there have been pulleys sold that are made from sub-standard materials which can fragment under stress with disastrous results. The classic G60 stage one upgrade has been to change the chip and pulley and gain a 20+ bhp gain. The market is now awash with chips for the G60, some of which are questionable as to their alledged ability, i prefer to bring an engine to the spec desired and then have a specific chip made for that car, which brings together the package. A rolling road in your area would be able to help here, but do try to find one that can offer VW specific tuning.

Ref "noise" from RSR type outlets :shock: , shame on you, the sound of your charger is sweet music and like all art should be given the freedom of expression and not stifled :p :lol: . Joking aside the increase in sound is not excessive indeed more complimentary.

i just put a front mount on. think the gases are being "lost " in the cooler and a pressure drop. seems to be a tad flat till 4-4.5k then all hell breaks loose. deffo faster at that point in the rev range. got a 65mm n sns stuff waiting for injectors. should sort the problem.

if you read vortex then youll see that the yanks are a tad ahead of us with there theories. some might say they are crazy but considering the tuning they have done not too many blow.

i went 65 as i want more low down than up top. dont like screwing it even on std stuff let alone with a 65. 5.5k gear changes for me i think.

with uprated charger a 65mm pulley would be fine! as long as you have the bearings/seals to handle it :p

as to the font mount loosing gas aka boost.. this is wierd because the headers should be full of charge all the time are is the design of the cooler suited to the g60.. what size is the core header tanks etc? and how tight is the bend coming of the charger.

you are right the 65mm will give more boost so should give that low down snap you are after but imho there shouldn't be a flat spot there mabee lookat some of the piperuns etc ? have you got any pics of the install gazzag60

ill post some pics when i can take some. gotta get to my dads digicam.

charger is jabba stg 4.

the end tanks are only small. running a ubend which are 3 inch with 2 inch ic pipes using reducers to make the 3-2 and 2-2.25 for TB. i may have a boost leak so dont hold me to that. i can hear a whistle every now n again when i get on it. gonna check the idle screw n maybe double clip the CO_pot.

the core is 600x150x45 n the full kit has been thrown together for about 200 quid.

think me fitting a new throttle cable has smoothed things out a little. making it feel flat. mind tricks i hope.

darren if you are at york ill be there. you can have a look at it there. dont laugh as its still in phase 1 and need a couple of mods.

have seen 1550 on the mfa for boost. tend to look at the road after this point n not at the mfa. thats at around 5300 with std car. whats that equate to anyone. that was in 29 degree heat too.

if the outside temps were 29 deg mate ignore the reading cos even with a fmic you still gonna get heat soak in that heat!!

1400 5.8 psi (Your charger is about dead or big boost leak)

1600 8.7 psi (Your charger needs new apex strips or big boost leak)

gazzag60 borrowed from sns site for info...

probly time for new strips eh. been 30k since stg 4.

thats at redline 6300 int it. only managed to see to 5300. whats a 1k rpm worth-0.1bar. that would put me around 1650-1700

may have it cracked open n new strips put in anyway.

sorry to go slightly off topic but whats the best way to find where a boost leak maybe?? just had a stage 2 rebuild but still only getting about 1650. :?

roc oil do a spary to check for this who did the rebuid ? is everything fine .. did the car go in or did you refit the unit yourself..?

Sac off the baffle box, he have seen car after car with repeat examples of the baffle box leaking boost. It has got to the point that we are changing the majority of baffle boxes we see with RSR style outlets. We port match the RSR outlet to the exit of the charger when we flow them. It is possible to enlarge the outlet to a larger diameter with the RSR alloy style outlets :) ..which is nice.

The charger was done to stage 2 spec by jabba, the muffler box was appparently changed when it was rebuilt, is that what you mean by the baffle box?? i had jabba do all the work e.g fitting and refitting due to my limited knowledge of the workings of the charger. where can i get this roc oil spray darren??

cheers

Just been out for a spin to take a look at the boost readings again, ran up to the redline in forth (private road obviously!!) and got a reading of 1820 just before 6K!! :D

How accurate is the MFA because thats a much higher reading than i got a few weeks ago?? could it be that the charger wasnt run in properly and now it is or some other reason?? oh and forgot to mention in previous post its still on stock pully with no engine mods.

sounds about right to me know :lol:

1800 11.6 psi (Great for stock pulley, probably needs new apex strips if

68mm pulley)

2000 14.5 psi (Great for 68mm pulley on stock charger)

i think when you want to go to 68 or 65mm pulley. you better rework the G-lader again complete.....

Just to be sure...

on the 16vg60 i'm building i will go 65mm.

the 1h engine i have now has rs lader, with 68mm pàulley. works fine...

you are deftinatley going to need to upgrade the oil seals and bearings if you want to go to a smaller pulley