Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

G60 air box

Can anyone tell me how the air gets into the box through the filter into the g-lader. I dont know about anyone elses, but the bottom part of the box has no holes in it and no tubes running to it so how is the air getting into the box and through the filter. I used to have a 2.0 8v and the bottom part of its air box had a tube running into it and had a "valve" which im guessing air entered into the box via.

I currently have a cone filter on but no heat shield but am considering to replace the standard air box. Good idea or should i stick with the cone???

Does not having a heat shield effect the efficiency of the air cone at all am i recommended to get a heat shield and if so where from?

Cheers

:lol:

hiya mate. the air box on the g should have a tube like funnel that sits in line with the headlight so air passes behind the light and into this tunnel and into the charger. ive just recently had a play with my box!

i removed the carbon canister under the box, thats the big circular thing with 2 tubes going into it! as this then leaves a big hole for some tubing.

as for the box ive drilled the bottom of mine and the right hand side of it, not the left as then youll be sucking hot air from the engine which is exactly what youll be doing with a cone filter. which is bad as hot air isnt good!

the charger works best with cold air and the standard air box provides the best heat shield as with the holes in it, it will only draw in air from the cooler areas where youve drilled! to maximise this get a green or k&n panel filter (£50)and this will be just as good if not better than an induction kit. with your cone your just drawing in hot air and even with a heat shield, this does little as air can simply move round to the sides of the shield!

you want as much cool air as poss as its denser there fore you can fit more of it into the charger = more petrol= more power :)

im no expert mate but hope that helps a little.

yeah mate completely appreciated.

The bottom part of my airbox though is sealed no tubes running into it at all!!! and the top OBVIOUSLY only has the one which feeds the filtered air to the supercharger.

SO if you looking at the air box from the front of the car, you recommend that i drill some holes at the front of it and down the left side (wing side), which should draw cooler air in. I get what you mean by the cone filter and the heat shield and thought the exact same thing myself. Ill probably put my standard air box back on then. With a green or KN panel filter.

Any chance you can send me some pics of what you mean by the holes in the box etc, As the carbon canister is to the back of the air box next to the suspension strut.

Cheers matey

:infinity:

erm....dont know then mate if your air box is completely sealed? the bottom half should have an opening to let in air which is tunnel like in shape?

also the cc should sit nearer to the front of the car, when your facing towards the car the cc should be on your left tucked in the corner? theres a hole in the metal work with a large cylindical object with a large tube and a samller tube going into it! also held in place with two screws.

and also with the air box, your right that the holes should be on the wing side and bottom. make sure you only drill the bottom part of the air box tho as if you drill the top bit above the filter element the charger will be getting unfiltered air. i just drilled holes on the bottom and wing side. sorry havent got any pics but cant upload them! gives bit more freedom to draw air and makes the charger louder so you can scare small children and old people!

Yeah i checked it and it does have a hole in the front (my bad) never noticed it before. I took the cone filter off and put the standard one back on. Im going to get a KN filter at some point but just left the one i got with it on for now. I tell you what with the standard one back on the car doesnt half sound alot more beefier, sounded tiny and cr@p with the cone filter on, i see what you mean about the louder charger, Fecking FANTASTIC!!!!! why did i bother with the cone filter to start with (shrug). Getting the 68mm pulley fitted next week too. Already got the chip in, but its running rich going by the black shit on the exhaust tail.

fair play, glad its worked out then!!! yeh when you drill the box it does make the charger louder....my mate creases up and says its like a jet!

would love to get a pulley but the insurers wont let me :( getting it ported to stage 4 spec instead then maybe a pulley etc in the future

nah mate, dont bother telling the insurance, theres no way they'll find out. The only way they can know is if the, if you crash, the garage you send it to to get fixed notice. theres no way they'll no a different sized pulley and they wont do diagnostics. Stage 4 ey, mines still stage 2 g-lader. with an SNS chip and a 68mm pulley it'll bunk it upto 190bhp. so dread to thinl what the stage 4 charger will do ontop of a pulley. Do you need a new chip when youve got a stage 4 or just a pulley with the stage 4?

yeh know what you mean bout the insurance....we'll see, probly in time the itch for more power will get scratched no matter what the insurance think :)

with the charger its guna be ported so more air can be forced out and its having a full rebuild and blasting so it will be better than new. dont need a chip or pulley for this but that will be the next power mod! it needs rebuilding anyway now, so if i get it ported etc now then ill not need to open the charger again for few years?

makes sense hey....then in time can just slip on a pulley etc and chargers sorted :)

Hi Craig! The reason they put that rubbish snorkel on the front of the airbox was another attempt to dull the noise of the G-Lader. Take that off and you get a slightly more aggressive induction note and it'll breathe slightly better.

yeah had mine rebuilt in march not long after i got the car. so give it another 50K then itll need another rebuild, expensive thing to do as well.

Tone down the noise of the G-lader, i love that noise, i want it louder. Going to get those holes put into the air box over the weekend.

Believe me, the novelty wears off on long journeys.. I used to get a headache if I drove for any more than an hour with the snorkel removed from my G60 airbox.. the rhythmic throbbing /pulsing noise coming from the engine bay just used to drive me insane.

Fun around town, fun scaring chavs in Saxo's... NOT fun for long journeys.

theres a hole in the bottom part at the front that allows air to come in and the tube that feeds the supercharger. My 2.0litre C had vaccum tubes going from the bottom half to the top half but my G60 doesnt have them

i love the sound of the charger. especially on long journeys as it just humms along. great in town when its enclosed. sound vibrates off all the buildings.

the snorkels the tube that lets in the air, sitting directly behind the headlight. if it was in your air box youd notice it as its a big tube just sitting there! mines gone and its a lot better. never seen a 16v set up!

Yeah goign through tunnels is fantastic. i like pulling up along side a sh!tty saxo or a corsa with rude boys in them and them hearing the engine. MUST put them to shame.

As for the pipe, think mine must have gone too, theres just a rectangular hole with rounded off corners. 16V setup, i havent seen one either. seen a 2.0 8v a G60 and a VR6