Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Buying advise on an S3

Mate looking at S3's & Ive found a really nice one in black fully loaded.. its done 70k.. is there anything that he should look out for?? are high mileage ones to be avoided??

any info would be great

Cheers :D

and mine isnt very nice!!?? :shock: cheeky bugger

just look out for good service history. the haldex 4wd unit needs to be done every 20k. oil and oil filter... if that has been neglected then be warned! also if its been chiped then servicing should be every 10k not 15-20k as the manual states ... and lots of em have been chiped.

I think water pumps normally go around that time aswell and thats a few hundred to get that done at audi.

clutch is also a weak point, especially if its chipped.

what year is it? if you send some pics or give me a link i can tell you if its a good deal.

you have a rough idea at market value from mine. 2001 face lift with 51k and IMO very very good condition and mine IS worth £14k

Seen and been in /\ that S3 and it's VERY nice, especially the interior.

Being honest though, I'd prefer a black S3 too..... I just think BMWs and Audis look best in black, but it's a personal thing....

cheers kev

black is nice... but black and silver dont seen to fetch as much money as nogaro blue or merlin purple.

reds and greens are seem to be the lowest value.

also. the interior. you could either have full leather in black (like mine) or cream... or you could have half black leather with silver, blue or yellow alcantara... now there was no price difference (apart from cream was extra i think) but the full leather definately seem to be more desirable in the second hand market... as does the bose hifi upgrade.

face lift was in 2001 and the cars got slightly different interiors and different headlights (one piece clear glass as opposed to the older two piece with the non 'crystal' glass) and rear lights got a clear section for the indicators as opposed to the all red pre face lift.

hope that helps a little..

i have seen s3's go from as little at £9k for a high mileage early model. generally speaking though post face lift low - average milage cars start about £13k

tbh i'd wait til next year til buying a S3...............cos as soon as the new model comes out....the old style ones are gonna drop down in value big time

i remember you saying the same thing when i bought mine last december.

i dont think audi have actually released any official dates, specs, pictures or even intentions of produsing a new s3/rs3 yet, so while normally saying 'wait for the new one' is a good argument... in this case i think they will hold value for atleast another year or so.

sorry dude, didnt mean for it to come out like that.. yrs is cool, but he's not keen on the colour.. he's after a black one..

cheers for the tips guys.. I dont have the link.. he showed me a print out from autotrader.. :roll:

he's ringing around at the mo, hopefully view a few cars over the wkend.. see what happens...

also make sure the traction control aint broke

friend has one which cant be fixed, which cant be good

Cheers

Lippy