Sign in to follow this  
markmcie

Steering rack gaitor replacement

One of them is ripped on my Corrado and I need to get it sorted. Has anyone any tips on replacing these. Is it a case of removing the rack from the car ??? I hope not :shock:

If you mean the one that goes over the track rod ball joint where it screws into the rack you just need to take the track rod end off and slide a new one on, I'd be tempted to replace the end and maybe the trackrod itself if the ball joint is worn (depends how long it's been leaking and how much grit got in there...)

Also note you need to mark up exactly where the TRE meets the rod to keep the tracking correct.

As Steve says, you can replace the gaiter with the rack in situ, but you will have to remove it from the car if you want to replace the whole trackrod.

2cc, You can do the track rods in situ - just need to allign the rack so you can get to the end nut between the subframe and the wishbone, not the nicest of jobs!

Steve :notworthy:

Am doing that job on the 16v this w/e. It really didn't look possible to get a spanner in there with it in situ, but will report findings idc.

2cv, it is but you need a fairly thinish one, it's 32mm by the way, also make sure the new Rod you get has 6 sides on the bit we are talking about undoing otherwise you won't be able to torque it up....

Yep, got the oe bits so no probs there.

A thinnish one? At 32 mm they don't come small, at least the one I bought recently isn't. Anyway, it's having the space to rotate it is the real problem.

Laters