Sign in to follow this  
golfg6076

HELP! porsche split rim tool needed!

Just bought 2 18"x8 and 2 18"x9.5 Porsche turbo 3's. The problem is the rears need to be a smaller width to let me have a fighting chance of getting them on my C! The problem i am having is finding the tool (socket) for removing the studs from the rim ( i have mangled 3 already with maulgrips!) :roll: . The tool(socket) needed is a star type but has 10 points rather than the usual 6 or 12. I have searched the net and nearly every forum i can think of to find out if anyone else has had the same problem. Everyone has talked about splitting the rims, but not letting on how they managed it. I NEED HELP AS THEY ARE SITTING IN THE GARAGE DOING NOTHING! AAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Yes 18" is perhaps too big. The wheels didn't cost me a great deal so i thought i could put them on the corrado and if the car got too messy, i could sell them on. cant do anything at the moment though. Not without the tool.

Yes 18" is perhaps too big. The wheels didn't cost me a great deal so i thought i could put them on the corrado and if the car got too messy, i could sell them on. cant do anything at the moment though. Not without the tool.

if you consider selling them, give me a PM.

A20 LEE didn't you split your wheels at some point? What tool did you use? The bolts are the same as BBS bolts. Just cant find anyone that does them! :roll:

A20 LEE didn't you split your wheels at some point? What tool did you use? The bolts are the same as BBS bolts. Just cant find anyone that does them! :roll:

yep, mine were the same as BBS bolts. You need a snap-on socket from halfords. Don't bother with a cheap alternative, it will knacker your bolts.

the halford professional sockets fit the bbs bolts perfectly i have split lots af rims with one and its not showing any kind of wear.

Just checked! The BBS bolts have 12 points an mine have 10. Still have found nothing that fits. I have managed to remove most of them but still need a socket to tighten them up.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have ordered new rims and bolts from a company in Italy. Have asked if they come with a key or if i can get a key for them. Got to wait till september as ITALY shuts down for the whole of August! Think i live in the wrong country. May consider selling when done but will have to see if i give up to early :roll:

Yep will do! I am going to refurb them and then sell them. Have decided to go with a 9x17 on the rear. I saw A20 LEE's at ED38 last year and love the stance it has and as this C will be my daily driver, i think its the most sensible. I will have them finished by the end of September.

Yep will do! I am going to refurb them and then sell them. Have decided to go with a 9x17 on the rear. I saw A20 LEE's at ED38 last year and love the stance it has and as this C will be my daily driver, i think its the most sensible. I will have them finished by the end of September.

Let Russ have first option. I wouldn't be interested if there rebuilt as i'd stripped them down again :roll:

Bill,

The tool you require is called a spline socket, comes in either 10 or 12-point fittings. Torx (TRX) sockets are 6-point only. AFAIK the BBS tool is 8mm or poss. 10mm.

Hope this helps,

Cheers