Sign in to follow this  
Aus

Erratic idle, stalling and I don't think it's the ISV!

Hi, got a '94 VR6, running v well except the engine dies when coasting to a stop PLUS it idles very erratically just when started from cold PLUS, when starting from cold, there's a hint of petrol smell in the car but this disappears after 5-10 mins and isn't apparent when starting from warm.

I've cleaned out the ISV which seemed to help initially but after a few runs, I'm back to the problems again. I wondered about a cracked/leaky cable?

Any ideas (and if so, in very simple language!!!)

Cheers

could be the coolant temp sender............approx £10 plus 30 mins tops to fit......but best get someone with VAG-COM to scan yer motor to check for anything else..............as it sounds to me like some sort of sensor

or other possibilities are

coil-pack

fuel pump on its way out................mine used to every so often cut out when approaching round-a-bouts......new fuel pump was fitted 2 years ago and viola........its never cut out since then

I had identical symtoms as yourself for a long time. Replaced all suggested items followed by the ecu reset procedure but to no avail really. Things improved a bit but she still hunted when started from cold and still kept dieing at lights etc.

VAG-COM showed nothing unusual and I had no vacuum leaks etc.

Once I changed the TPS and MAF sensors though and did a full reset she was totally transformed - pulls much harder and smoother, starts and settles on idle immediately from cold and she hasn't stalled once since (touch wood)

Dutch

I've had an erratic idle for the whole time i've owned my VR6. I've replaced everything from coil pack, HT leads, cam position sensor, oil breather diaphram, cleaned all the airways, had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned, and even went to the extreme and done a head rebuild. It's still there!! VAG-COM shows nothing unusual. I don't get any stalling, and it starts fine from hot and cold. It still goes really well, i just get this annoying erratic idle...

Sounds as if i may have the same problem as yours DutchVR6. I may bite the bullet, and replace the TPS and MAF. Suppose i may aswell, i've replaced everything else!

Cheers

Steve

Yep, sounds identical to mine mate. I also replaced everything from coil pack to Lambda etc. to no avail.

It would seem that the MAF has a life of about 10 years and now LOTS of them are beginning to fail. Problem is the car will still drive OK, fuel consumption is also OK and VAG-COM WILL NOT report the MAF as faulty unless it is totally dead.

I'd give it a shot as you will notice the difference in power too once you have a good one again - especially if your is the original!?

...BUT - I would try/check the TPS first as this could be the problem on it's own - and it's a lot cheaper (30 quid or so) and takes 2 minutes to replace.

You will have to do the full ecu reset propcedure inc. basic settings after replacing the TPS btw.

Dutch