Sign in to follow this  
CharlieC

4 Wheel alignment - Stratford area

Hi,

I've got some serious steering problems going on when accelerating and decelerating. It's actually pretty scary at high speed. So I want to get a 4 wheel aligment done, and the bushes checked out too.

Anyone know a decent place to get this done around the Stratford on Avon area?

Cheers.

Well we do seem to bring them up quite a lot but Stealth Racing have a proper 4 wheel alignment system now.. they are based in Southam nr Coventry.. not very far from Stratford at all.

I think Silverline Tyres in Warwick have 4-wheel laser alignment. They charge big bucks (I think it was around 65 quid) for the privelige, but worth giving them a go.

They're normally pretty good for prices on tyres as well...

(And when I first saw "in Stratford" and saw your location as Clapham I thought you meant Stratford, not Stratford-on-Avon!!!)

you will find a lot of tyre places doing 4 wheel aligment and not just stealth,all off which are trained to use them the same as steath

does the car have all 4 wheels adjustable due to the passive rear steering?

just wondering cos it cost me 120 quid to get the CTR done because of all 4 wheels being done!

Alex

The passive rear steering is (as far as I know, but I could be wrong!) down to the design of the rear axle bushes isn't it?

I don't think there's any edjustment there at all

Blair,

im not sure myself mate! all i know is to a point the rear wheels turn in as well...... if it can do this i would have thought you can adjust them but then again its a torsion bar which normally isnt adjustable........

if it was wishbones/trailing arms etc.. then it would defiantely need rear adjustment....

havnt got a clue! :lol:

Alex

The camber and toes are indeed adjustable on the rear axle. Although the difference it makes overall would probably go unnoticed.

StormVR6,

what about tyre wear tho? would this make a difference?

im interseted mainly cos i have had the fornt end in bits and camber and tracking are all over the shop!

Alex

If you mean front tyre wear, then yes of course it makes a lot of difference as does balancing. Bad tracking, balancing etc can bugger new tyres in no time. Not only is the tyre not sitting properly, but cornering will also have a more adverse effect on the lifespan of the tyres.

The rear tyres would suffer a small amount, but mainly down to bad balancing not tracking.

Oh yeah and obviously incorrect tyre pressures will also lead to uneven wear.

i was getting at making sure the front is aligned ok u need to use back to check setup, if back is out then its all out......

i know bout tyre wear i have fast road setup on the CTR so get uneven wear because of it ;)

Alex

The rear axle has very limited adjustment so I think a "4 wheel alignment" is a bit of a con really, the rear is basically fixed therefore you just need to align the front with the rear!