Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

Who Hasnt Had A G-Lader Blow Up On Them?

well im getting more and more paranoid by the day now as i have read of at least 5 people in the last few weeks who have had their charger blow up on them with no apparent signs of problems being mentioned in their threads! :shock:

i was just wondering as i have also had my g-lader grenade on me whether there is 'anyone' out there with their original g-lader that hasnt exploded??? :?

i have just collected my replacement g-lader today but even though it has done 10k miles im feeling as if its a timebomb under the bonnet every time i turn the key :?

cheers,

Alex

Nothing wrong with mine but then you have to look after them. I have had all mine serviced regularly.

No problems, touch wood. I don't drive like a girl either.

Gavin

Both my G-Laders are safe - nice to have a rebuilt spare sitting in the loft though - never boot the car until oil temp is showing 80 degrees and always take the last three / four miles home gently to cool things down a little - oh, and oil and filter changes every 3000 miles, at the moment thats at least once a month

JMR checked the charger over on my Nugget just after I'd bought it and found that Jabba clearly had not replaced all the oil seals when they had rebuilt it 15,000 miles before

My G-Lader was rebuilt by Jabbasport.. sailed past 30,000 miles on a 68mm pulley with ne'er so much as a problem. Don't get me wrong, I know their reputation has taken a bit of a bashing, but all credit to them as my G-Lader was nice and strong with no real problems. It was definately ready for a rebuild though.

Andy665's advice is sound though, and its definately a routine I would follow.. very regular oil changes, never taking the car above 3000RPM until oil is at 80 degrees, and giving the car a chance to cool down with sensible driving for the last few miles of the trip. That and never taking it to the redline unless you really have to.. but with the G60 there really isn't much point as optimal torque comes before the red line!

JMR checked the charger over on my Nugget just after I'd bought it and found that Jabba clearly had not replaced all the oil seals when they had rebuilt it 15,000 miles before

how long ago was this Andy cos the one i just bought is a jabba rebuild thats done 10k......

this was rebuilt feb 03

Alex

My G-Lader was rebuilt by Jabbasport.. sailed past 30,000 miles on a 68mm pulley with ne'er so much as a problem. Don't get me wrong, I know their reputation has taken a bit of a bashing, but all credit to them as my G-Lader was nice and strong with no real problems. It was definately ready for a rebuild though.

Andy665's advice is sound though, and its definately a routine I would follow.. very regular oil changes, never taking the car above 3000RPM until oil is at 80 degrees, and giving the car a chance to cool down with sensible driving for the last few miles of the trip. That and never taking it to the redline unless you really have to.. but with the G60 there really isn't much point as optimal torque comes before the red line!

i never used to bother taking mine to the red line cos i found that the power would tail of at about 5k rpm so never took it above that.... appart from once when i did a 'top speed' tester!

mine blew purely through lack of knowledge with the g-lader nothing else. im very meticulous with my cars and will certainly be taking your comments into consideration!

i wouldnt mind opening my new charger up to see if it all looks ok inside, now i know how to get one half off as its just a few allen key bolts but that doesnt give you access to inspect the top bearing :?

Alex

It was rebuilt in 02. The Aqua G60 that I bought recently had also been rebuilt by Jabba 30,000 miles previously but I got that rebuilt by JMR just to be safe. From what I have seen / read/ heard etc it seems to depend who at Jabba does the rebuild. With a rare and costly bit of kit like the G-Lader i'd rather not take any chances.

Mine lasted the whole of my ownership from 70k up to 128k miles, no problems whatsoever - had it "checked" everytime I had the car serviced by either BR Motorsport or Mick at Jabba, ne'er a prob :)

im wondering whether mine blew up becuase of the climate i was in with the car?

Dubai...... very sandy!

So Cal..... very sandy!

g-lader + sand ingestion could be cause of boom!

car had done about 50k when it blew up

Alex

Skid,

glad to see you still have it mate ;)

i havnt been on the forum for a while now...... and i thought my mileage was low at 68k!

Alex

just looked at the rebuild sheet from Jabba and says the following components were replaced dated 06/02/03:

Stage 2 Supercharger Service including replacement of:

main bearing (drive end casing)

main bearing oil seals x2

eccentric sahft bearings x2

apex seals x4 (casings)

main bearing (end casing)

auxiliary drive belt (wide)

diffuser bearing

diffuser oil seals x2 HP

apex seals x4 (diffuser)

total cost including fitting to the car: 1612.98!

does this sound about right?

Alex

That sounds expensive!

MIne was goin fine for the first 7-8 months, then i started to notice a nice metallic residue and performance started to tail off from there on. Again that was a Jabba rebuild, However im not goin to blame them yet, as the guy who owned it previously, and had the charger rebuilt 3 months before i bought it, fitted it himself, subsequently i dont think he cleaned the pipework and intercooler out! Nob! :mad:

How much?! That is a shocking amount of money for a charger rebuild, regardless of whether porting work was undertaken or not! G-Werks would be well over less than half that for the same work..

How much?! That is a shocking amount of money for a charger rebuild, regardless of whether porting work was undertaken or not! G-Werks would be well over less than half that for the same work..

yeah i know mate! plus that was back in 2003! it did have a few other bits in that tho 112 quid's worht of parts additional to the re-build but still an extortionate amount of money!

do you rekon its still worth splitting to check out the internals tho even tho its only dont a 'claimed' 10k?

if i take the exhaust half off will any of the bearings fall out?

Alex

Well only if you're confident in splitting it.. there is a bit of work involved in chargers.. might want to speak to g-man on some advice on what to look out for, etc..

Well only if you're confident in splitting it.. there is a bit of work involved in chargers.. might want to speak to g-man on some advice on what to look out for, etc..

yeah think i might just do that, i split my grenaded one ok but then it didnt really matter if bits fell out of that cos it was knackered anyway! :lol:

Alex

The charger on my G40 scares me. It's constantly at the back of my mind when driving the Polo!!

I've already had a set of seals go on me since I converted me polo to G40 5 months ago!

When I bought the engine it had had a stage 4 charger conversion 4k previous. Yeah, a Jabba stage 4. Nuff said.

forgot to add, the bloke who i bought the G off had it in a golf mk2 with a G60 Rallye Intercooler.......... does this make a difference to its reliability?

dub envy, dont tell me that about jabba! i know they have gone crap but thats where mine that i just bought was rebuilt in 03!

Alex

The intercooler won't affect reliabilty.

You can take the exhaust side of the charger off without losing any parts. Just make sure that the apex strips are all sat nicely in their grooves when you put it back together.

I have rebuilt 3 chargers in my time but I am by no means the expert.

Gavin

I do think that although jabba have gone crap with regard to thier porting etc, it may be a little unfair to blame them for all the chargers going bang, both myself and Caios have had chargers fail in the last few months, both rebuilt by gwerks (who are second to none for g60s), but it was not gwerks fault they failed, just mechanical breakdown of a fragile design, after having examined both chargers it became apparent that the scrolls were failing and deteriorating....

I do think that although jabba have gone crap with regard to thier porting etc, it may be a little unfair to blame them for all the chargers going bang, both myself and Caios have had chargers fail in the last few months, both rebuilt by gwerks (who are second to none for g60s), but it was not gwerks fault they failed, just mechanical breakdown of a fragile design, after having examined both chargers it became apparent that the scrolls were failing and deteriorating....

Are you sure they were built at g-werks ? Also agree there is alot more to most of them blowing up though...I can usally find a simple reason for the faliure one a quick look inside has taken place. I also wish people would not run induction kits as they let to much crap through.

OOPs sorry that may have been steve at pitstop not sure (same place nearly), but I think you catch my drift, that it was more to do with the chargers rather than the workmanship!!!!!

right then off to fit my WI kit.... hooray, (NOw where so I find lots of methanol) ;-)