Sign in to follow this  
veritas137

slight problem when installing my rear fk springs/shocks

Purchased the FK 75-40 kit a while back for an amazing price.

Put the front on about a month ago now and everything went great. Lowered the car down a little more and the ride is great compared to my old blown shocks.

Then onto the rears and they only suuplied 1 nut for each shock and it was a weird 10mm fine thread bolt so I had to leave the rears alone and find some nuts.

Fast forward to today, I had my nuts in hand and was ready to put the shocks and springs on. Everything went good until I let the car down and the drivers side shock came pushing way up. There is a lip on the shock to prevent it from pushing up, but the lip on my new FKs was very small and pushed through the spring cap. I took it apart and put the spring cap back on and couldn't push it through by hand, but didn't feel comfortable with this setup so I used my old Koni adjustables with the new FK springs.

On my old Konis, it almost looks like it was welded and beefed up to prevent this. Here is a pic showing the difference. The Koni is on the right.

shocks.jpg

I have no problem leaving the Konis on there, but to be quite honest I don't really need the adjustability and would rather have the matching spring/shock combo on there. Could it be my spring caps that are the problem? I think they are the Neuspeed ones that came with my old springs and maybe they fit a little loose?

Yupp, everything was on there. It pushed the upper strut mount insert and everything up into my hatch area. Really scared me at first.

It almost looks like the part on the Koni was welded on as an afterthought.

i had exactely the same happen with my brand new weitec shocks. All that stops the damper rod pushing through the top mount is a small circlip. Somehow it popped out of the groove when i hit a pothole. I popped it back in and its been fine since. If it happens again i will put a small weld on to keep it there!.

So I have this somewhat figured out now thanks to some help.

Seems on the stock setup, there is a sleeve that fits on there nice and tight. Well since the Konis are quite a bit bigger, that sleeve is now long gone. Going to pick a couple up at the dealer this week.

Also however I am going to have to trim a nice chunk of the spring perch off of my Fks since they rub the tire badly when down low.