Sign in to follow this  
Pickard1

Lovely Picture of my G-Lader

Just driving home on the M61 tonight and the car develops a funny noise.

Could it be the charger.......? of course not, it'd be making more noise than this and I wouldnt still be sitting at 95mph.......must be the exhaust blowing......I'll check it out later....

Got home, popped the bonnet, a textbook G60 failure (if there is such a thing)

Hopefully my picture has worked..... Note the Jabbasport sticker!

I'm looking for the receipt to confirm but it was deffinitely overhauled 2 years ago (less than 30K).....I was hoping for a bit more longivity than that!

What do I do now? It is worth mentioning I am completely skint and cant afford a bahn bremmer before some wise ass suggests it!!

Gav, what was this cheap turbo kit you were telling me about?

Dan

oooh fook!

Jabba only do a 6 month warrenty mate so its bye bye for your hard earned!

did you have a smaller pulley? was it a std charger? were you running an induction kit?

just trying to think of other reasons rather than blaming jabba straight off :?

Alex

well you know what I am from the states and I think I have seen enough jabba chargers blow in the past 3 months on this forum... so I blame jabba... 8)

T'was a Jabba 'stage 4' but I was running a standard chip, pully, air intake etc....everything was completely standard.

I think the Jabba Warranty was 1 year (6 months if you fit it yourself) It's making me wish I'd have gone for some very long drives in the 1st yeat just to get my monies worth!!!

I do quite a lot of motorway miles which I've heard can be quite bad for the bearings, but generally I'd like to think I drive pretty sensibly unless she's properly warmeed up. Im just a bit dissapointed cause

I was under the impression that it should be good for 50,000 before blowing up......not 26,000!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G60-G-60-Supercha ... dZViewItem

Anyone ever used these people on ebay? or does anyone have a charger for sale??

Grrrrr I'm pi$$ed off!!

Dan

Oh yeah,

a couple of other things that I keep forgetting to ask due to being very pished off.

1) I take it I'm not supposed to drive it :? Am I right in saying that bits of the supercharger can end up in the engine? I accidentally did about 20 miles with it knackered. It was still pretty spritely, so I just put the noise down to my wobbly exhaust - I presumed that you would get all kinds of misfire etc with a charger blow.

2) Is it easy/cheap to convert the car to N/A for the immidiate future until I've sourced a new G lader. It's my only form of transport and could do with it running before payday!

Dan

I just randomly have these...

G60 Supercharger Bypass Procedure

1.0 MATERIALS

(1) 2” ABS Pipe Elbow, 45 deg

(2) 2” ABS Pipe “Street” Elbow, 22.5 degree preferably, or (1) 45 degree elbow

(1) 2” ABS Pipe Waste Tee (angled side port)

(1) 2” ABS Pipe, 1 foot length

ABS Glue

(1) M10 x 1.00 minimum bolt and nut

(1) 6 rib , serpentine belt

For 1990 cars = 59 inch long: Part # Flag 590K6, Gates K060590, Goodyear 4060592, or Dayco 5060590

For 1991-92 cars = 59.5 long : AC Delco/Gates Part # K060594

2 ½” rubber Connecting hose (11” long NAPA auto parts FM122) or Duct Tape

2.0 PROCEDURE

2.1 Remove super charger completely

2.2 Install M10 bolt and nut into rubber supercharger (SC) oil return line.

2.3 On drivers side of head, remove the oil pressure sensor from factory tee fitting

2.4 Remove tee fitting and stainless SC oil supply line.

2.5 Install oil pressure sensor into side of head.

2.6 Trial assemble ABS fittings to connect the airbox oulet to both the 2.5 inch O.D. SC boost return line and to the 2.25 inch I.D. IC connector hose.

2.7 Starting at airbox outlet, connect a 45 deg fitting to airbox outlet with 2 1/2” Connector hose.

2.8 With the two tee outlets pointing toward IC hose and return line, connect the straight end of tee to the SC return line with 2 ½” connecting hose or duct tape.

2.9 Cut 2” pipe length to fit between the 45 and tee fitting (approximately 2.5 inch long).

2.10 Insert small end of 22.5 deg street elbow into IC connector hose and second street 22.5 elbow into the angled tee outlet.

2.11 Cut 2” pipe length to fit between the two 22.5 deg tees (approx. 5 inch long)

2.12 Finalize pipe lengths and rotate fittings to proper angles. Mark pipe/fittings with a permanent marker. Remove from car.

2.13 Glue all fittings together and allow to dry.

2.14 Attach ABS assembly to airbox and return line with connector hose/clamps or lots of duct tape.

2.15 Clamp IC connector hose onto ABS elbow.

good 2 go

Oh yeah,

a couple of other things that I keep forgetting to ask due to being very pished off.

1) I take it I'm not supposed to drive it :? Am I right in saying that bits of the supercharger can end up in the engine? I accidentally did about 20 miles with it knackered. It was still pretty spritely, so I just put the noise down to my wobbly exhaust - I presumed that you would get all kinds of misfire etc with a charger blow.

2) Is it easy/cheap to convert the car to N/A for the immidiate future until I've sourced a new G lader. It's my only form of transport and could do with it running before payday!

Dan

you can easily do a bypass with a bit of flexi tubng from halfords along with a couple of zip ties etc......

i wouldnt bother with buyng a kit if your going to replace it soon.

Alex

bix, are you embarassed about the purchase or something? Or were you scared until it arrived?

I sort of warned Dan off them as I had no knowledge of them at all. Buying stuff from a foreign country has it's disadvantages if things go wrong.

Gavin

T'was a Jabba 'stage 4' but I was running a standard chip, pully, air intake etc....everything was completely standard.

I think the Jabba Warranty was 1 year (6 months if you fit it yourself) It's making me wish I'd have gone for some very long drives in the 1st yeat just to get my monies worth!!!

I do quite a lot of motorway miles which I've heard can be quite bad for the bearings, but generally I'd like to think I drive pretty sensibly unless she's properly warmeed up. Im just a bit dissapointed cause

I was under the impression that it should be good for 50,000 before blowing up......not 26,000!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G60-G-60-Supercha ... dZViewItem

Anyone ever used these people on ebay? or does anyone have a charger for sale??

Grrrrr I'm pi$$ed off!!

Dan

L&S Cartec are good people. I have bought around 5 chargers off them and never had any problems. Not as nicely ported as PSD or jabba, but does the tricks

If you dont mind me asking....why have you had to buy 5 chargers??

Have you had any fail?

Dan

Good question Dan..... :lol:

bix, are you embarassed about the purchase or something? Or were you scared until it arrived?

Just that I had to buy a new one, when I knew it needed overhaulling really, same thing happened to mine that has happened to Dan, idler eccentric shaft bearings I guess.

Cant knock L&S Cartec tho, seems like a nice bloke, keeps u well informed, etc. http://www.ls-cartec.de/

Sorry to see such damage,i'm wondering if i choose the right route doing a 2.0 G-charged valver...,anyway if you need bits to turbo your motor i've got a modified jetta TD exhaust manifold for the 8v G60 head+inlet manifold,Garret T3 .48/.42 turbo or if not i can also supply a mitsubishi TD04,ihi vl5,Garret T3/4...you name it,i've probably got it,and with a fair price too.

makes me wonder if jabba used some extra cheap bearings around the time these chargers were made? i watched em do mine and they were no name brand bearings they used

End of day one without a charger..........and I'm going to the pub!

As Gav will confirm I've all the mechanical aptitude of a (not very) trained monkey and its taken me all evening since I got back from work to remove the altenator.....nearly. I reckon I'd have a new charger here by the time I've managed to get this old one off if I order one...

If you dont mind me asking....why have you had to buy 5 chargers??

Have you had any fail?

Dan

I rebuild chargers, and sell rebuilt chargers. Cheaper and easier to get them already rebuilt from Germany than finding a suitable core and rebuilding here in Norway.

Got a lot of good tips from PSD and sell their stuff here in Norway.

My personal best on a G60 Full Blend is 1,1 bar on standard pulley and 1,6 bar on 68mm pulley

Ive nearly got my charger off after two evenings pissing about on the drive.....

Today I removed the pipe between the SC and the IC it was full of various shards of metal ranging between glitter sized bits up to 50p size.

It was the same in the plastic outlet housing.

The only good bit of news was that the IC to inlet manifold was completely clean, no 'glitter' or anything. I think this means I have had a really lucky escape and havent scored up my cylinders/pistons.

I obviously need to clean out the IC but given my (very) limited mechanical skills I was hoping to avoid removing it as it appears to be in a pig of a place to get to. I have been considering just getting the car running so that I can get down to my work and use the air line to blow out the IC (from engine side to SC side). This is my best idea, does anyone have a better one?

Apart from this I'm planning on pretty much following potatonets instructions, although maybe with a little more duck tape and a little less ducting!

I didnt manage to get a 6 rib belt, halfords (it was free!) only had a 4 rib one in that length, but I figure that as I'm only using the belt as a temporary fix to drive my altenator it wont be too critical. Im guessing that a 6 rib belt was required originally as it was driving the SC and the altenator. Im guessing now that the energy of turning the SC has been removed a 4 rib should have enough purchase.

Anyway, thats where I'm up to, If anyone has any suggestions, or wants to shoot my theories down feel free......

I washed out my intercooler, once I got it off the car. I squirted a load of degreaser into it and sloshed it around. I left it several hours before swilling it out with water.

It don't think the airline will be as effective as the degreaser. The oil residue in the IC will have all kinds of crap, stuck to it. The degreaser will dissolve the oil and the glitter will have nothing to stick to.

Gavin

reminds me of what I did to my transmission, speaking of which this one is kinda fried too... =-/ I drive my corrado hard, maybe I should get an uprated tranny...

makes me wonder if jabba used some extra cheap bearings around the time these chargers were made? i watched em do mine and they were no name brand bearings they used

sounds about right! mine had el cheapo top bearings which i had just had replaced to be on the safe side!

maybe I should get an uprated tranny...

Gotta love the US-UK language divide ;)

Uprated mean they've had the 'stage 2' and a boob job too? ;)

Nadia?