Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

Just bought a VR6 Storm for

Yesterday i bought my second Corrado - a 1995 VR6 Storm in pearlescent green. I had seen the car on ebay (see advert here ) and although i didnt win the bid i sent the seller a message that if the winner pulls out to let me know.

Sure enough this paid off and the winner pulled out.

The car's biggest issue is its millage, a huge 225,000 miles! This seems to have put a lot of people of it completely. I offered the guy £2,500 subject to viewing it and went to see it yesterday. The owner had talked of cracked windscreens and key scratches, but the bodywork was almost perfect, the scratches may even T-cut out as they were only very thin.

I got some advice off the forum for what to look for in a high millage VR6 and the suspension was mentioned as probably needing replacing - and the ride does feel very hard - but it does have adjustable shocks so softening these may help. Despite the miles it runs very smoothly and idles really nice and quietly - the best part is probably the extras, leather heated seats, air conditioning, a sunroof that does tilt & slide and the elecric mirrors, windows and working spoiler!

I am very happy with my purchase and feel i've bagged a bargain - will be getting a service done soon then hope to just look after it and see how long this engine will keep going for - this has to be the highest millage storm on here and almost the highest millage Corrado on the forum (now that Henny's J-Dub is no longer with us).

There are photos on the ebay advert - but they do not do it justice - i'll be getting some pics on here soon and adding a new thread on the members gallery.

Thanks again to this forum for the buying guide + expert advice regarding the millage - most other people i talked to were completely shocked that id consider buying a car with over 200k miles on the clock!

Nice one! Does sound like a real bargain! Get it fully serviced and chains done (if not done previously).

My last VR had done well over 200K (now belongs to Gazman and Rado-Girl :) ), but it was in just as good nick as any of the other C's I've had with much lower mileage. Just depends how it's been looked after.

well done, you may find that the engine may have been rebuilt in the past which would make it even more a bargain.

There's a stack of reciepts totaling about 12K that i need to go through in detail - i am hoping that the belts + tensioner has been done alread - would be great if the engine has been rebuilt but i think hoping for that is a bit optimistic :) would be great though! Engine sure runs very smooth and the idle is smoother than my valver that has only got 109k on it.

Nice one.. its that the green storm on 17's that was on ebay??

you keeping the valver too?

Yep - this is the green one that was on ebay - although now i am not sure if its a storm or not - Jim asking made me dig around about - and i was wrong when i said DVLA had it down as a storm - it was built at the right time - has the right spec at least (so it doesnt make that much difference) BUT the storm badge looks in the wrong place!

I've taken the day off work today as i am not feeling well ;-) so i'll be able to poke around a bit more and get some pics in the members gallery.

About the valver - im doing some body repairs to it at the moment and i hope to get that looking good - id consider selling it to someone who would keep it and use it - but most ppl who want to buy em are just gonna scrap it for parts :(

For now i'll keep both - with the valver i've paid the insurance till the end of the year-and its MoT'd till June 06 so for now i'll have em both (gready i know!)

Right now i've moved back home with my parents so living costs are low and and communte in on the train + tube - so not driving much - i can just about to afford to keep em both going :)

J-dub's just taking a rest... she'll be back... ;-)

Hasn't Andi's VR got more miles than that on it now?

Anyway, not trying to steal your thunder... Sounds like you've got yourself a little bargain there, storm or not, and anything with over 200K on it gets respect from me anyway, show me another car where at least half have got over 100K on 'em with around 0.1% of all imported over 200K miles!

Don't worry about the DVLA - They never had the Corrado's down as Storms anyway, just normal Corrado VR6 :)

If you let me know the Chassis number, I can give you more idea :)

Nice one.

I was tempted by that one myself.

But the mileage and distance from me put me off.

Health to drive! 8)

Just phone up VW with the VIN no, and you'll get an answer straight away. Remember, the Storm badges didn't go on at the factory- the Stealers had to put them on, so it could easily be in a slightly different position to others you've seen.

Like the others have said, even if it turns out not to be a Storm, sounds like a bargain.

Brilliant, just give her an oil change now and again and who knows, 300k?? LOL. My suspension is on the way out and currently approaching 142k! If it does need chains, it might be cheaper to put a 24v 4mo engine in there, i was offered one for £400! and it's 14bhp up on the vr.

Remember, the Storm badges didn't go on at the factory- the Stealers had to put them on, so it could easily be in a slightly different position to others you've seen.

Ah haa - this could explain it - here's a picture from the ebay ad that will give you an idea about the positioning of the storm badge on the rear.

60_3.JPG

Seems a bit high and should be in line with the VR6 i thought?

Anyway - it doesnt make much difference - i'll call VW and find out when i get a moment - i checked the paint code and it matches the green that should be on the storms according to the colour code guide on the buyers guide (classic green + pearl effect).

Henny - i look forward to J-Dub's reintroduction to the world - will he still have the same engine?

Nice one budy, and if it drives well and the body is straight who gives a Ken Dodd what the mileage is. Great buy. It seems you will spend lots on it whether its done 25k or 225k. Just do bits in order of importance as and when they really need doing and you should get lots of help off here to get you buy and save some £££s too.

Now dust of your tent and come to E38 !

I wouldn't worry about the position of the Storm badge mate, the lower half of my C was resprayed after some d*ck smacked me up the arse in his Mini.

The coachwork's obviously had to remove and replace the badges which let's just say wasn't done with the greatest of care!

Nice buy! :)

Thats a great buy m8, even better... looks like the exhaust was replaced for ya too.

well a 1.8 16v is what im after so u neva no, any details on it. pm me if u dont wanna fill this thread with me questions. cool, catch ya