Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Hammered the VR round Zandvoort a few times at the weekend

I have noticed that if I push it on a sharpish corner the handling gets a little 'interesting' to say the least. It feels like it would be so easy to get the back end out if I wanted too, which doesn't fill me with too much confidence to be honest.

I am suspecting my rear axle bushes are shot and I know my shocks must be close to it (6 y/o Sachs gas ones). I run standard and original arbs/springs etc. at the moment too.

Anyhow, I went to Zandvoort racetrack on Saturday on a works team building event and had some fun in a Carrera GT car and a formula Renault. It was my first time on a track and I think I'm now addicted!!

At the end of the day we could lap 4-5 times in our own cars, which we all did. I was expecting the VR to be all over the place, but to my surprise she actually went round the track very well indeed. By the 3rd lap I was nailing her for all she had (adrenaline took over) and she just went where I wanted. Also, the tires were very quiet (Potenza S03's) and the brakes amazing (Zimmerman drilled disks with Red Stuff pads). A colleague in his Civic CRX had to stop after the 3rd lap as his brakes totally overheated!

Anyhow, how come on the road she feels well dangerous when pushed, yet on the track no drama's? Obviously the surface plays apart, but should I be worried about my bushes etc. if I can nail it around the track without any issues??

Dutch

PS. Also, with low compression on 2 pistons, a weeping HG and considering the amount of oil I use I expecxted ALOT of smoke, but after the first lap she was totally clean according to the guy beghind me and didn't puff once??? How can this be?