Sign in to follow this  
adamukcorrado

how to change Front wishbone bushes?

i need to change my front wishbone bushes in an attempt to stop random clunking, i'm going to up grade them to powerflex bushes.

whats the best way to go about it?

do i need special tools?

should it be left to a garage?

looks straight forward but i haven't attempted it before!

i need to change my front wishbone bushes in an attempt to stop random clunking, i'm going to up grade them to powerflex bushes.

whats the best way to go about it?

do i need special tools?

should it be left to a garage?

looks straight forward but i haven't attempted it before!

you at least need a large vice and some large sockets to use as pushers, a press is preferable, if using OEM parts its easier to get new wishbones with the bushes installed, in your case you will need to hack saw or push the old ones out.

Not too difficult to do, but best to have all the kit a workshop has on hand.

Drop links can snap too when taking the old ones out if they are badly corroded.

David.

hmmm, sounds like the kind of job i'd start and then wish i'd given it to a garage to do!!

looks like it can wait til it's next garage visit then, at least it will give the 'clunking' time to delevop into something easier to diagnose.

cheers david

When I have had wishbone bushes fail. Usually the rear one where the bolt goes through it vertically. The steering wheel moves when you go from power on to off. As the wheel moves back and forth in the arch the tracking changes which you can feel in the steering wheel.

Went to poly, as I knew they would be easier for me fo fit in the wishbones. Getting the old VW ones out can be a messy job. Especially the front bushes.

The drop links can be got from GSf I think.

Gavin

You can pick up the wishbones from GSF WITHOUT the bushes (Less ££ also) makes the job a bit easier as you only have to fit the poly bushes. Not as easy as it sounds mind you.