Sign in to follow this  
ollster

newbie with problem...

Hey there i have just sold my polo g40 and bought a 1995 corrado 2.0 16v. When i bought it the engine was bobbing around allover the place and afterr getting under the car to inspect the problem both the front a rear engine mounts seemed goosed, alothough the gearbox one still felt fine. Having replaced the front and back mounts with new oe items the engine does not rock anymore but i get a lot of vibration in the cabin when sat at idle or driving and its sending me slowley crazy! It just makes the car feel very harsh to drive. I have checked all of the bolts are torqued up correctly and have even checked the subframe bolts. The exhaust system is not contacting the body anywhere and non of the heat sheilds seem loose. The vibration is noticable throught the clutch brake steering wheel and the genrally the whole body of the car, can anybody shed some light on this before i loose the plot!

Firstly: What engine mounts did you use? If you used poly or solid metal ones, then that's your source of vibration.

Second: Is it just engine vibration, or is the engine idling erratically, hence shaking the car a bit?

hi mate, they were german swedish OE best quality mounts, which are both hydro mounts.

If you put your hand on the inlet manifold the engine vibrates as much as you would expect but it is by no means excessive. Apart from that the engine runs sweet, although it feels very flat but then again i did have a ported g40 before the raddo! it also seems to run a little hot but that problem is for another day lol

It just seems that all vibration from the normal running of the engine is being trasmitted to the rest of the body as if it were running solid mounts

The only other thing is that it does not have the gearbox support that is present on gti 16v i have seen but im not sure if the raddo's came with these or not. The support i mean the bracket that runs from the top of the gearbox where the selector is to the gearbox mount at the back

Hmm, so they're not even the solid rubber mounts? In that case I'm at a bit of a loss - you either got used to it with sloppy mounts and it's now as it should feel, or there's something touching the chassis somewhere.

Anybody near you with a valver that you can have a ride in to compare with?

yeh the engine or exhaust contacting the body was exactly what i thought was happening but ive been under the car all day and havent found a sodding thing :(

it feels as if the engine is running fine and i have checked the timing with a strobe and looked for vac leaks but the vibration the engine is giving off seems normal, its just the fact that it is being transmittted to the chasis that is not. The plugs are a bit white but i think this is down to it running a tad hot for again another unknon reason (although i suspect old coolant and a sticky stat?)

im begining to think i should have kept the polo it was a much less harsh ride!!!!

who replaced the mounts? Did they let the engine settle on the new mounts before tightening them?

Slightly loosen the top bolts / nuts on all 3 mounts and start the engine, rev the engine lightly a few times so that the engine moves around a little and settles in it's natural position, then nip up the bolts again. Turn the engine off and torque up the mounts properly.

This can make quite a difference to how the car feels vibration wise as the engine will now be sat in it's natural position on the 3 mounts rather than being forced to sit more on one mount than another as it would be if the mounts were tightened/replaced in a random order...

i changed the mounts myself, and as for letting them settle i didnt loosen the gearbox mount but left the back and front mount loose and rocked the engine before i torqued them up. Is it worth loosening all of the mounts starting the engine and then tightening them all up again, as i really am completly out of idea's after soending two days witht he problem

Engine wise can anybody shed a light on how to make the 2.0 16v run correclty as i have seen quiet a lot that run very flat and have starting, overfueling issues etc. Mine is not as bad as the one that my freind has in his raddo but it doesnt start half as well as my old g40 and its very lifeless to drive. The plugs, rotor arm, leads, oil filter, air filter have been changedbut something just doesnt feel right although mecahnically there are no knocks top end rattles or sign of mechanical wear so im guessing its sensor related unless that is just what these engines are like

Is it worth loosening all of the mounts starting the engine and then tightening them all up again, as i really am completly out of idea's after soending two days witht he problem

It can't hurt... as for your second query, your ecu has self diagnosis so you need to get someone with VAG.COM to scan for fault codes first...

ollster, yup, allowing the engine to settle on the 3 mounts as I described above can make a noticable difference to vibration transmission around the car... Hell, if you fitted 'em it's gonna take you 10 to 20 minutes to do and cost you nothing, so you have nothing to lose by trying it do you? ;)

Check the earth straps on the badly running valver, they can make a fair old difference to how a car runs... quickest way is to run it as normal and get a feel for how the car runs, then clamp a jump lead from the -ve on the battery to where the main earth strap connects to the gearbox mount and see if that makes a difference... if it does, then there's your answer... 8)

cheers for all the helps people, ive just tried the jump lead trick and it didnt make any difference although something is definatly a miss i just cant put my finger on it. As for the vibration ill try loosening all the engine mounts but i dont see it make a massive difference, i dont suppose there is any corrado guru's in my area that fancy having a look at it and in return ill provide food drink and great company lol