Sign in to follow this  
PBSTORM

VR6 has flat spots

I got round to replacing the Cam Position Sensor last month. I cleared down the faults, took it for a good drive, plugged it back into VAG COM and it was clear.

However, it's still got this random mis-fire!! :mad:

This has got more noticeable over the past few weeks, as it is now intermittently stalling at a stop.

I was sat at traffic lights and the engine sound was fine. Next thing the engine suddnely sounds as if it's missing, the idle drops and the car cuts out. This only happens now and again.

I parked up outside work this morning and again I could hear the engine missing. I revved the engine and I started to get blowing form the exhaust.

As you can see from this thread I've taken all the advice given and replaced a load of parts-Please, please help!! :cry:

Could be anything...... just flicked through the thread again and note you haven't replaced:-

Lambda probe

MAF sensor

Throttle position sensor

Fuel pump

ECU and/or Fuel pump relay

Those items can all cause the symptoms you describe but not necessarily altogether, just a dead MAF for example can cause the engine to run like cr@p. Not saying you have to replace all of them.....but without seeing the car, all we can do is get you to check things systematically, as most of us have to do and it gets expensive.

To avoid spending even more money chasing your tail, I'd recommend you take it somewhere like stealth. Leave it with them for the day and I'll guarantee they'll trace and fix the problem!

I've just unplugged the MAF as the engine was running and nothing happened!

The engine did not cut out. Does this mean my MAF is knackered?

Not necessarily as you've got an OBD2 MAF and they behave differently.

Unplugging an OBD1 MAF usually always caused a stall if it was a healthy one.

MAFs are tricky to diagnose, GSF sell em for about £60, all you can do is try a new one and see if your missing power comes back.