Sign in to follow this  
adamukcorrado

How much for wheel refurb? & what options are avaliable?

I'm after getting some split rim oz wheels, have been advised they need a re-furb, they have polished rims, does any one know what kind of prices i could expect and what options are avaliable.

i.e rims and centres polished? (is there different kinds of polished?)

and painting or powder coating centres?

any experiences or recommendations would be really useful!

Assuming they are a genuine split rim very few companies will refurb them due to the liability if they get it wrong. I've refurbed BBS RS's myself - not too difficult, but you have to know what you're doing.

Try contacting Diamond Styling, one of the oldest wheel refurbing companies in the business. Be warned though, they're not cheap! 020 8968 8737.

I've always used Pristine in Woburn Sands for non-split rim refurbing but I'm pretty sure they don't do split rims.

hmmmm, yeah they are definately real split rims, not sure what exactly needs doing to them,

is even just getting the rims polished and the centres powder coated/ painted going to be a problem?? are split rims so much harder to do or is it simply the coast if they mess it up?

The problem is the rim needs to be split into it's component parts to be refurbed correctly. The issues this throws up is the wheel then needs to be perfectly sealed where the wheel "splits" when put back together otherwise the air will leak out - imagine if this starts to happen will you're doing 70 odd mph down the m/way :shock: .

Split rim bolts are often one use items so a commerical refurbisher will want to source new bolts - can be a massive headache as the bolts are often not available on older style wheels. Finding alternatives can also be tricky. All this hassle means alot of companies don't refurb split rims or charge a lot of money to do them.

I'd seek advice from the pro's - eg. the number I gave you above.

is splitting splits... that bigadeal?

i know of two mates who`ve split and rebuilt wheels at home a few times with no bother!

i understand the 70 mph deal but just wondering?

ben

It's not a big deal, as long as you know what you are doing!

I've refurbed 3 sets of BBS RS's myself, but I got alot of advice from the pro's before attempting it for the first time.

I've spoken to people in the past who have no idea what torque to do up the (old) bolts and have decided to seal the wheels with bathroom sealant :shock:

All I'm saying is that given the wheels and tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road I'd rather have them sorted 100%

This is why there is very strict type approval (TUV) of these wheels and their refurbing in Germany.