Sign in to follow this  
RadoAds

Anyone have any experience with Caterhams or suchlike ???

Im at the stage of trying to weigh up merits of buying a Caterham or Westfield, It would be a self build so at least I could spread the 20k cost over a suitable period. Has anyone on here done it, drove one, owned one etc. Although Ive driven a couple fast Ive never really pushed to their limits as they werent my cars. The models I am looking at are the Caterham SV Roadsport or Superlight and the Westfield 2000 sport. Should be good for some sunday morning thrashing and track day action aswell as a portable bath tub in our climate. :-P

I ran a Westfield but went down the purist route - found an early IRS model with a Lotus Twin Cam, twin 45's and the Rocket four speed box. Dyno'ed at 155 bhp, regular flames out of the exhaust. Maroon with biscuit leather and chrome ringed Smiths dials. It was 9 years old and only done 4,500 miles since it was built. I had it for twelve months and sold it for exactly what I paid for it (£7000). Fantastic to learn real car control skills, you corner with the throttle rather than the steering.

The problem with newer Caterhams and Zetec powered Westfields is that you will still hit depreciation. Older Caterhams and Westfields are just as quick in real world conditions and are virtually depreciation proof. If you want something really different don't rule out a Grinnall Scorpion, lower road tax and stupidly cheap insurance, sequential box, 40mpg and unbelievable driving experience - really regret selling mine but hatching a plan to get another one

Scruffythefirst is your man - he's building a Dax Rush.

He'll tell you that's the one to get - probably because they're beefier, cheaper and come with an insanely good build manual.

I think he's mentally derranged though, cos he's put a 350bhp Cosworth engine in his...and it weighs about 800kg.

Almost as mental as this actually - http://www.rst-v8.co.uk ;)

a friend of mine recently sold his r400 for a JPE, blew the engine on a trackday, bought a brand new one and blew that one aswell

Im liking the engine but what worries me is that Im going to have to rub shoulders with people who look like they are related to David Bellamy............mmm having a rethink :)

ahhh f*ck it, the power wins I can always grow a beard

Yeah, take a look in the gallery on the RST-V8 website - Chris that works for the 7 Workshop comes across as the typical kit-car type to me :lol:

Russell that makes the engine is a hardcore mentalist tho :)