Sign in to follow this  
Paul 8v

Gear knob

Right, bought myself a nice momo gear knob but i wanna keep the original gaiter for the moment. How do i seperate the gaiter from the existing knob without mucking it up as they are connected?!

Cheers 8)

There's a plastic circlip thingy on the inside of the gaitor that holds to to the knob (ooh err)

Dinkus is right, turn the gaiter inside out and you see a plastic circlip, just unclip it and they will seperate

Put a small screwdriver in the gap and lever it off. Dont be to harsh with it.

I thought a gaitor was like a crocodile?

I'll get me coat!

Changed the knob over but the gaiter has a gash brass ring around it that moves about, is there a gaiter I can get which will look alright with it and fit in properly, it's a momo gear knob. Will one of the ones witht the tie up top be suitable?

gearknob.jpg

You can buy Momo trim-rings that screw into the bottom of the knob and attach to the gaitor, or you might be able to get a Momo gaitor as well.

You can get momo gaiters that have a screw thread in inside the top so they just screw staright in to the bottom of the knob. They are far to long though (about twice the length) whats more you will have difficulty fitting it in to the surround cos the original is glued in. I have had to do a big ass custom job on mine. I will put some pics up at some point but I have a way to go yet.

I dunno, all this knobs and screwing, somone is having a good laugh at our expense!

Changed the knob over but the gaiter has a gash brass ring around it that moves about, is there a gaiter I can get which will look alright with it and fit in properly, it's a momo gear knob.

Sorry to re-open an old thread, but the following info may be of use for future reference:

I've just today done the same (ie. fit a Momo knob).

You can't hide the brass ring easily, but you can stop it moving around.

I fitted the gearknob and then turned the gaitor inside out, and used a small jubilee clip (aka [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hose_clamp]hose clamp[/link]) and the original plastic clip to push the brass ring up tight against the gearknob.

You can still see the brass ring, which kind of spoils the effect a little, but at least the gaitor doesn't move around. That'll do for now, but I may replace the gaitor later.