Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

G60 with no charger

as my charger has grenaded, and not a new one in sight

can i run the car with out it, is it possible to fit a cone filter to the pipe that would connect to the intercooler exit, then find a belt that would fit and be tight running round the crank pulley and water pump, would the car run fine it's only to get me to e38 20 mins away or is it the trailer as usual, surely it will run like a low comp 8v around 90 bhp

as my charger has grenaded, and not a new one in sight

can i run the car with out it, is it possible to fit a cone filter to the pipe that would connect to the intercooler exit, then find a belt that would fit and be tight running round the crank pulley and water pump, would the car run fine it's only to get me to e38 20 mins away or is it the trailer as usual, surely it will run like a low comp 8v around 90 bhp

apparently running the engine with no charger isnt a problem.. sure someone will be along soon to confirm!

Tried the search?

yes it will.... just remember to blank of the oil feed / return pipes and you will be fine also u will need a shorter belt

yep i can vouch for this too! my car ran fine without a charger but it was slow as hell! fitted mine back on it this evening and wow what a difference!

my bit of DIY pipework was interesting tho! i just got some aluminium ducting from a motorfactors and kind of jubilee'd it together :lol:

forgot what it was like as i havnt driven the car properly in a few years and then the last few weeks i have driven it without the charger so i was happy with the way it drove after fitting 8)

just have to bed it in a bit now tho as i have had a few bits replaced my the top man who goes by the name of Darren ;) 8)

Darren, any tips on getting the belt tensioner spring back onto its spindle when re-fitting as it was a bugger to do? took about 30 mins!!! :lol:

cheers,

Welcome to the club OvalTheMoon.

I havent actually got mine running yet, but received lots of usefull advice when this happened to me last week.

See my thread below

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28826

I have purchased a reconditioned charger from some german chaps on ebay. I will let everyone know if its any cop when it arrives. Comes with a 12 month guarentee at least.....let me know if you want one, might be able to negotiate a discount....! the guy seems quite up for throwing in freebies....

freebees, ohhhh,i have ordered a bahn brenner but have to wait till october for it to arrive,

daz you say shorter belt, do you know off hand what and where from, is there a cambelt that could fit the bill

as for the blanking plugs anyone know the bore size of plugs needed

where or what did you guys use for the

belt

oil blankers

cheers, i'm happier now, gonna make it to the show

its easier to just use a small jubilee clip and one of the allen bolts that join the airbox to the charger to plug it and clamp the bolt tight for the rubber oil pipe.........

then for the braided one, remove the whole braided hose and use the bolt thats originally for the rubber oil feel into the charger for the right hand side of the rocker cover and then plug that with another small allen bolt and jubilee clip...... make sure you keep all spare bits in a box tho cos come fitting your gonna need em all again ;)

the belt should be the same as the golf 8v but length depends on whether you have aircon or not so make suer you mention it when buying ;)

any tips on getting the belt tensioner spring back onto its spindle when re-fitting as it was a bugger to do? took about 30 mins!!! :lol:

cheers,

2 big jubilee clips,screwed together?

thats what im gonna try anyway.

neil. :)

Neil, you will lucky mate! i couldnt shift it into place with all my body weight on a pole pushing the cradle down!

in the end i had to use a massive jaw with a long arm on it to pivot the whole cradle enough for it to just squeeze over! definately a 2 man job!

really? :(

ahh well,big bar and shouting swear words it is then :lol:

lots of the F and C words were used by me and my mechanic mate! :lol:

:lol:

im now wondering if i should run mine without the charger.....mmmmm.

knowing my luck id buy a belt etc,then the charger would turn up the next day.

neil.

got the gti 8v belt but havn't fitted it yet due to storms (i ain't that desperate)

looks a bit thin compared to the original,

question my car is supposed to have a MOT on sat,should i cancel or send it with this bodge, as it runs anyway, or will this affect my emissons

It'll pass the test without a charger. The ECU injects the fuel based on the air it senses. At tickover that is the same with and without a charger.

Gavin

right then, fitted a shorter belt and all works fine, now just need to plug up the charger oil lines, any ideas what to use, plus do i need to plug the return line as after all it's not returning anything or will oil come outr somehow

also just a quick one, my lamba probe is not connected (long story )if all is fine and you say the engine will sort it's fueling out, do you think it will still pass the emissions

i couldn't plug the oil lines, the oil made it's way out everytime and i don't want to use any sealer,

if i leave the charger on (with no belt connecting it) and connect the oil feeds back up, with the oil flow correctly or does it need the charger to turn to keep the flow going

i couldn't plug the oil lines, the oil made it's way out everytime and i don't want to use any sealer,

if i leave the charger on (with no belt connecting it) and connect the oil feeds back up, with the oil flow correctly or does it need the charger to turn to keep the flow going

Remove the oil feed line altogether. Take the pressure switch adapter off the head and screw the switch straight in instead.

I'd just cover the end of the drain line.

I'd be surprised if it fuelled correctly without the lambda probe working. Unless the chip has been written to exclude the probe altogether.

Gavin

Yea I plugged mine with a m8 nut and bolt and oil leaks thru the threads :oops: oh well only a little

would the leak fail on a MOT though, thats all i really need to do it for as it runs out a week before the bahnbrenner arrives,

i didn't remove the adapter just put a bolt in there and it gushed like a goodun,

i take it that the oil lines in the charger are sealed and if i hook it up the oil should hopefully just flow in a circle (or close to)

On a similar vein......Would the position of the oil line be likely to enable it to carry bits of broken charger into the engine? My main concern on this front was particles getting blown into the engine through the inlet Manifold, now I'm concerned about Oil.....

As you may know, I accidentally drove it 30 miles home at 90mph on the motorway so some of the metal was ground up pretty good!!

I think it unlikely that any metal would make it into the sump through the drain. If the charger was still rotating at several 1000 revs then the bearings must be sound. Or it would have chucked oil all over the place.

gavin

Any word on the greman blower Dan

The German Blower........This is turning into a right saga......It should of came today but didnt. Im moving house on Sunday and am now going to have to tow the bloody thing off the drive to the new house. I am trying to get a tracking number of the guy so that I can at least have an idea when its going to arrive so that I dont book any more days off work for no reason!