Sign in to follow this  
rixy

VR6 Diagnostics Problem, AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Hi, my car is now in a garage to have the head gasket replaced, however before the chap does this, he wants to sort out a few little electrical and running problems! He has used his diagnostics tool to get into the cars memory, and checked fault codes, but as soon as he tries to go into the adaption process (adaptation) his computer screen just goes blank,and he has to sign in again, and select car, enter chassis number all over again! It does this with both the VAG 1551 Setup, and his more recent Snap-On setup, but all the equiptment works fine on all the other cars he's got present! Does anyone know of how to get intot this adaption process, or why it might be doing such stupid things?

Basically, i need a british spec manual for a raddo vr6, with wiring loom diagrams, or just the wiring diagrams would be a great help, so if anyone has had a similar problem, or has diagrams etc, let me know please, as im stumped, and so's the chap at the garage, cheers

Nearest thing to a manual outside of a VW dealers is the Bentley manual. Has the most comprehensive write ups on everything.

If he has a 1551 I would have thought he would be well clued up on it's use.

Sorry I can't help further, I have only really looked over peoples shoulders when these tools have been in use.

Maybe RW1 will be about later. He knows the score.

Gavin

but as soon as he tries to go into the adaption process (adaptation) his computer screen just goes blank

Doesn't exist in any Corrado ECU. Software is just locking up cos there will be no ECU response. Sounds like Snap-On haven't written the code to cope with no response correctly. Only fault codes (02), measuring blocks (08 ), basic settings (04), output tests (03) & login (11) exist. Adaption (10) is not facilitated.

why *HE* might be doing such stupid things?

Yip!

i need a british spec manual for a raddo vr6, with wiring loom diagrams,

Always nice to have, it's 15 inches wide consisting of 18 volumes and not a Haynes. :)

Always nice to have, it's 15 inches wide consisting of 18 volumes and not a Haynes

Fancy scanning that for us? :mrgreen:

so there is no way to adapt the air mass meter thing then? Can adaption not be done through a corrado? Is that what you mean?

You can't change the adaptation. It's something the ECU does itself. Adaptation means the ECU is 'adjusting' the parameters according to what it detects from the sensors. There are no variables that can be manually adjusted.

Typical VAG-COM adaption errors relate to the fuelling and idle valve cycles. "Adaption limit not reached" is a common one. Or if you're running too lean, it will keep adapting the fuel trim settings until it maxes out and runs out of options.....then it'll run poorly.

The Air Mass Meter has no available settings anyway as the ECU does not report grammes/per sec like OBD2 does. Bosch M2.9 only concerns itself with the physical connection as far as diagnostics go.

If you want to check the MAF, you can connect it to a scope and monitor the waveform (your mechanic will know what to look for) or hook a multimeter into the plain red wire in the MAF loom and observe the voltage as you rev the engine. It should be 1V at idle and give about 3V with gentle throttle flicks and the voltage should rise quickly.

right, well he's done all the checks on my car, and he seems to think ints running very rich, so what could the problem be here! He wants to get it all sorted before he takes the head off to start work, so he knows everything is in good working order before we start!

Get your man to check the lambda probe is operating by checking Measuring Blocks (08 ), group 001, field 3

The value should be somewhere between 0.95 and 1.05 at idle. Improtantly, it should be regularly changing slightly within the above range (about every 0.5 to 1 seconds). If it's stuck, usually 1.0 is indicated, it's goosed. This condition won't throw a fault code. But the exhaust will be stinky and rich.

right, could this in turn be causing very poor running at low revs, and engine stalling when i pull up to lights etc?

Not necessarily, could be two problems not related. Depends how rich and how rough, plus whether the ECU is set up correctly but no point in setting up ECU if the lambda is not working. Your man needs to do the check above on the probe.

ok, i will let him know all this, and see what happens from then, ill let ya know, cheers 4 da help!