Sign in to follow this  
steview

running fault 2.0 16v

Engine has developed running fault (2.0 16V).When engine is cold it will not rev and sounds like it is down to about 2 cylinders and cuts out but when it reaches normal operating temperature i.e oil temp on mfa reads over 86 and water temp gauge gets to about half the car runs perfect - any ideas ?

Lambda probe or water temp sensor that feeds the ECU are likely suspects.

The other thing that happens is the idle switch on the TB sticking in, so the ECU thinks the throttle is closed. The ECU then doesn't advance teh timing as it shouldn't be needed.

Gavin

Im having trouble trying to locate the coolant temp sender on my mates 93 Rado 2.0 16V 9A, any help to locate plz,

and I also need a Bonnet Cable, VW have told me this is not made any more, cheers guys

Lambda probe or water temp sensor that feeds the ECU are likely suspects.

The other thing that happens is the idle switch on the TB sticking in, so the ECU thinks the throttle is closed. The ECU then doesn't advance teh timing as it shouldn't be needed.

Gavin

If the closed throttle switch was sticking in you'd lose all power instantly as if the fuel supply had stopped....much like the problem I'm having with a 9A engine in fact! It doesn't sound like this problem is the same.

Gavin - is there a chance that you could tell me a bit about the two electronic devices on either side of the 9A fuel distributor? They look much the same but one has a three-pin connector and one has a two-pin connector (I'll get the wire colours and supply pics if required). I feel that my own problem is related to one or both of these but I'm in the dark about what they do and their control philosophy. Anything you can offer will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

bcstudent, One of the thingies you describe alters the control pressure and therefore the mixture. It's similar in operation to the Fuel Pressure regulator on a KR.

The other bit I am not sure of. The book is in my car so I'll look at work for you in the morning.

mehtasvr6, I'll get you an answer too.

Gavin

The other sensor on the fuel distributer is a load sensor. It has a variable output which tells the ECU how far open the flap is in the Fuel distributer.

This would be akin to the throttle pot on other EFI systems. Or the airflow meter on a digifant GTI.

Im having trouble trying to locate the coolant temp sender on my mates 93 Rado 2.0 16V 9A, any help to locate.

This is in the side of the head forward and below of the dissy.

Gavin

Nice one...just checking because my local GSF was convinced that was an oil pressure switch!

* EDIT * I don't suppose anyone has a part number for the temp. sender in question do they? My local stealer also had no clue which sender I was on about.

Bump for a part number....

Also a little more info. about #3 would be handy. For a start is it a temperature sender or a tepmerature-activated swich? The fact that it has two pins would suggest, to me at least, that it's a switch. In either case, does anybody know it's operating range or approximate switching temperature?

It is a negative temperature coefficient resistor. The hotter it gets the lower the resistance.

Not 100% which one it is. I am thinking item 8 but it says it only has one pin. Best bet is to get the number of the one thats fitted.

Gavin

Thanks Gavin. This is why I was having the problem in GSF and the VW dealer - as their system shows a generic 8v head they couldn't pin-point the exact sender without a part number. I guess I'll have to get the car and take the sender out tomorrow, unless steview can shed some light....

gsf dont stock it, its a bosch part and i got mine from a local bosch dealer the bosch part no is 0280130040 it cost about £24. I have changed mine and it didnt help the crap running :(

Hi bcstudent - the one i changed was #3 in the picture but got it from an audi 80 2.0 16v in the scrapyard as it also has 9a engine so afraid i cant help with a part number.

Hi bcstudent - the one i changed was #3 in the picture but got it from an audi 80 2.0 16v in the scrapyard as it also has 9a engine so afraid i cant help with a part number.

Okey doke, in that case I'll have to take the old one out. Cheers for the reply though :)

Okey doke, in that case I'll have to take the old one out. Cheers for the reply though :)

the bosch part number i gave you is for that sensor mate, i can get the vw number if you want to get it from the stealers?

the VAG number is 026906161 but i would recomend using the bosch number 0280130040 and buying it from a bosch dealer as it will work out cheaper

Out of interest, can anyone tell me what ETKA lists that part number as? When I was looking through the temp. sender list at the dealers nothing ETKA listed sounded right!