Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Fuel leak

Morning all,

Started the car this morning to give her a 5 miniute warm up before driving and when returning to go to work noticed a wet patch under the car, about half way from the front on the passenger side (LHD car). When I checked it it stank of petrol :(

Having looked about under the car have found that one of the fuel pipes running from front to back appears to be leaking (there is a piece of foam hanging down about 1 inch where the fuel pipe goes into a little 'tunnel' in the bodywork halfway from the filter to the engine bay that is saturated in petrol)

Anyhow, I have ordered the pipe that runs from the fuel filter to the engine bay as that's the only one VW currently have in stock.

I presume this is the main fuel pipe and more than likely the one I need?

I have also ordered the 2 fuel pipes that run into the engine bay along with all the clips. They will arrive by 3 this afternoon apparently!!

Also, Is this a common failure and could it be more than just a leaking pipe? I haven't been able to get the car up on ramps yet and just presumed the pipe must be leaking? There are no other noticable leaks other than the one I mention?

I need the car back on the raod a.s.a.p. too as it's my daily driver. I'm hoping I can fit the pipes tonight with a mechanical friend (who hasn't much Corrado knowledge though as he runs big nasty American V8's etc).

Will we be able to change the pipes easily or is it a tricky job like most others on a C??

Thanks in advance,

Dutch

Check the union joint in the engine bay. It's located almost in the body work. Follow the fuel pipes off the engine on the belt end on the rocker cover. They go off down behind the engine. At this point there is coupling where there the floor pan fuel pipes meet the engine's fuel pipes. The most likely culprit is the tank fuel pump to engine pipe coupling joint.

Not too common but naff to sort due to location/access to get sealed properly.

Sounds about right as I know the fuel pipes that connect to the fuel rail are porous, that's why I ordered those today too. If they are seeping at the fuel rail end, it's more than likely they are leaking at the joint you mention too.

B*ll&cks!!

...are they that much of a b^st*rd to seal? I've ordered 4 new clips for the fuel pipes in the engine bay too, so hopefully I can get a good seal between the floor pan pipes and these. Is there something I can use to strengthen the seal, or just clamp the 2 pipes together and hope??

Cheers,

Dutch

...just checked and there is fuel on the underside of the car just behind the front right wheel, so it would seem it is indeed leaking from the coupling of the floor pan and engine bay pipes and then running down to where I see the leak underneath the car.

Just hope I can get a good seal then when I replace the engine bay pipes!

One thing though - do I need to drain or release any presure in the fuel system before disconnecting the fuel rail pipes?

Dutch

One thing though - do I need to drain or release any presure in the fuel system before disconnecting the fuel rail pipes?

There is pressure to release in the fuel feed pipe but given it's leaking, that may be lost gradually given sometime. Expect upto 3.5 bar. Release it at the forward fuel filter coupling (not reverse flowing the filter then) and that can drop on the road into a pan.

Fuel return pipe should not have pressure but just in case, undo the fuel filler cap to release any residual.

...are they that much of a b^st*rd to seal?

It's the access that makes it hard, not the parts. Getting tools onto this area can be difficult as the coupling is almost into the channel in the bodywork. May be better on a LHD as the UK servo set-up isn't there.

OK, thanks for the tips RW1, will do as you describe.

Good point on the access issue - I have looked and there is absolutely nothing to obstruct me once I remove the MAF and associaled air piping on a LHD VR. I forgot the brake servo etc. is located that side of the engine bay on a RHD model!

Cheers again, just about to go and pick up the parts - by foot of course!!

Dutch

Problem solved :D

Just fitted new engine bay fuel pipes and the main floor pan pipe plus new clips and no more fuel leak.

Thanks for the advice RW1. I released the floor pipe from the filter as described and hardly any fuel came out when I release the pipes from the fuel rail. Took 20 minutes all-in-all with very easy access to the couplings on a LHD motor once the MAF and air intake ducting was removed 8)

Dutch