Sign in to follow this  
TomB

A worrying wobble.

My car's developed a worrying low-speed vibration through the steering wheel between about 10 and 30mph. It was fine at the weekend, but as soon as I set off last night, I could feel that something was wrong. I thought I heard a slight screech as I turned right out of the parking space, reminiscent of the noise the PAS belt on my Passat made when it started slipping, but I got no vibrations there.

The vibrations clear up once I get to about 30, and the car handles almost as well as usual, although the steering feels slightly heavier, and pulls to the right.

I haven't hit any kerbs, and no more potholes than usual, so can anyone point me in the right direction (no pun intended)?

Cheers,

Tom

Whats the state of your wishbone bushes? The rear ones in particular. Could be time for poly......

Gavin

Have you checked the torque of the wheel nuts. Im not trying to insult your intelligence but its always best to eliminate the simple things first.

Good question Gavin, but in all honesty I've no idea :oops: How do I check?

Madjackal I haven't checked the torque of the wheel nuts, as I don't have a torque wrench. I'll check tonight though and make sure they're all tight though.

Cheers,

Tom

Ideally you need to get underneath and do a visual. Its the same check they would do on an MOT. Try and move the wishbone with a bar.

The bush is a metal ring with a rubber centre that looks like a smiley face. The rubber detaches from the ring over time allowing movement in all directions. Especially under power, braking and cornering. In a straight line with a neutral throttle they don't do much.

I have no plans for visiting my mums, otherwise I'd have checked it out for you.

When the test due?

You might be able to see with it jacked up and supported.

gavin

Cheers Gavin, I'll see if I can get it up on axle stands at the weekend to have a look. The MOT's not due until April next year fortunately :)

Cheers,

Tom

All sorted! It turned out to be an 'egg' on the front passenger tyre (which also had a nail in it). :-)

Dammit, I hope the tyre was due replacement. I always seem to pick nails up in tyres with loads of life. Really sickens me to see it. Usually too close to the side to patch too. :(