Sign in to follow this  
StormVR6

Why is my belt coming off?

TO SMACK THEM BAS*ARDS 'TIL THEY CRY THEMSELVES TO SLEEP!

Sorry, that's how my kids make me feel sometimes. :lol:

Seriously now, my fan belt (the elastic band which link the rad fans) has come off 3 times now over the last month or so. Now strange though it may seem it only happens when I use the air-con!

Is this just a huge coincidence or does the air-con affect the way the fans cut in (stop/start jerk, quicker rpm?).

The belt is a new one as the original came off some time back and got chewed up, I know it sounds mad but it hasn't come off since last summer.

Help would be good, cheers

Hmm, just 2 comments on my obviously far too wry humour, is this problem as unique as I thought (and I don't mean my sardonic wit)? :lol:

Wit doesn't come across well on forums mate, but I knew you were only messing! Like you would be serious on a public forum about belting your kids, LOL!

Anyway, yeah that belt can cause problems when they get old and loose..... try a new one and make sure all the bolts are secure and also make sure both fan bearings are running true as that's another problem, worn bearings cause the fans to run out of true and therefore throwing the belt off.....but you'd hear noises. I guess the Air con must bung the fans on quite hard and that initial 'shock' is perhaps kicking the fan belt off?

Just a theory....

Yeah, the fans aren't 100% square with each other so that wouldn't help, the bearings seem fine, I just wished that VW made the V-Wheel with higher sides, surely that would have retained the belt with no drawbacks?

Oh well I'll just go without the air-con I think, don't use it that much anyway, unless I'm stuck in traffic!

...and in the future I'll use caution when it comes to awry humour, don't want Social Services banging on my door! :lol: