Sign in to follow this  
designrob

Bad Beam Pattern on New Headlight!

Ive recently had a new headlight fitted after a collision with another car. It was fitted by a garage selected by the insurance company, however when I put my car in for an MOT they said that the beam pattern on the new light was terrible and would probably fail next year!! It does seem to be alot worse than the old one! Ive checked the part numbers and it seems to be an original VW part.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Have you upgraded your headlight wiring loom? It could just be a result of the notorious dim headlights found on a Corrado exacerbated by changing the headlight unit.

Speak to Gavin, h100vw on here, about his headlight looms...

I did think that, but looking at the headlights they seem to be the same brightness. But with totally different beam patterns.

cheers for your ideas anyway

It isn't a LHD headlight is it, put on by mistake? If you get the part no off of it, someone one here could check it is the correct one?

Are the bulbs fitted correctly. If they don't sit in the brackets right then the pattern will be distorted.

Gavin

As you look at the car, the one on the left is the new light.

part no. 001-141096-01

The light on the right is part no. 001-141095-01

I dont see how they could mix them up though.

Looking at the images below the ribbed parts seem to be in the wrong place! In other words they are not a mirror off the right hand light!

They should both have an arrow on the glass pointing to the left when sat in the car. I had a LHD headlight in my passat for a while and aprt from dipping the wrong way the beam was as defined as the RHD light.

Gavin

i'd check the bulb, make sure its fitted correctly also check the wattage or even swop it with the other side to see if it makes any difference

Both the lenses look fine to me too... would put money on it being the bulb - either on it's way out or poorly fitted :?

Good luck getting it sorted

My car failed the MOT due to a defective beam. My nearside light throws a beam which is low towards the hedge & high towards the middle of the road. My bulbs are fitted correctly, with uprated loom. The arrow points towards the hedge (left). There are no leaks & the lamp looks in perfect condition.

The part No. is 001-141 095-01

This is the only failure the car has & is very frustrating.

anyone got any more ideas as, I don't fancy paying 180.00 pounds for another one which may be the same.

BTW. I tried to order a new reflector from VAG but, they are no longer available :(

If the light is new can you not take it back? Fit for purpose etc. Is there an arrow on the glass pointing to the passenger side of the car. Check both lights.

It could be a LHD headlight??

That part number isn't a VAG one. It should start with 53X XXX XXX

Gavin

dan

I have the same part no. on mine, and that also nearly failed the MOT. Ive just been to VW and the part no. for the complete light unit is 536-941-018A,

the part number for the glass is 536-941-115A.

Im guessing the lights we have are not made by VW! Hence are not very good!

Im in talks with my insurance company, as they replaced the complete light unit for this inferior part. I want a genuine VW part. But as we all know insurance companies dont like paying out!

designrob,

I think you may be right, & as Gavin says, our lights are not VAG. Even though it is 'E marked', & has 'Made in Germany' on it.

My guess is that they are after market replacement lights for a LHD car.

So do you think we can get away with replacing the glass/lens then?

I didn't think anyone else made light units apart from Hella exclusively fior VAG and the new Inpro ones (you'd know if it was of them)

Part numbers for the units and lenses are on the parts club document in the suppliers section but i'm not sure the units or lenses actually have these on them or not...