Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

Best way to store wheels over the winter? :?:

I'm gonna be taking my solitudes off the car for the winter, and stick my set of speedlines back on.

The solitudes are going in the shed, but someone told me it's worth raising the air pressure in the tyres while they're stored. Does this make any difference to anything? :? Or would *lowering* the pressures be better?

Store them flat, off of the floor indoors, cover them from light and preferably away from heat and humidity. AFAIK they should be inflated to around 15 psi so as to keep them in perfect condition. :)

I always lie unused wheels down and separate them with a sheet of thick cardboard. Covering them up if they will be in direct sun is good, as the rubber is affected by UV.

I don't let the air out though, just leave them as they come off the car. I would think they want at least 15PSI in them if not more, otherwise the weight of the others will squash the tyres lower in the stack.

Gavin

Ideally you want to lay each one flat (not on top of each other), if you can't do this you can store them upright but remember to rotate them every month or so, to prevent flat-spots.

The information I have given comes from a chap who works for a tyre manufacturer, he knows his stuff and obviously knows how to keep tyres in storage, the basics are cool, dry and dark.

take them off the car and clean the wheels and eax them and stick them in the corner,,,they'll be fine (use card to seperate the wheels, to prevent scratching)