Sign in to follow this  
ollster

2.0l 16v Water Pump Change Q's

I know this has been covered before but am looking for some more definitive answers...

I believe my water pump is on its way out so im looking at changing it, first of all how much of a job is this on a 2l 16v raddo (is there a step by step guide) and what parts do i need, my shopping list so far is...

Water pump

Water pump to block seal

Thermostat

Thermostat Seal

g12 coolant

new belt if old one is shagged

I have spoke to the stealers and they want £43 exchange fro the pump alone not to mention the other bits but i can buy all the above for a lot less from GSF (OE quality parts im told not the cheap copy crap they also sell) So is it worth shelling out the extra for genuine parts (and waiting as they don’t stock them) or are the GSF parts up to the job?

I did this on mine a while ago, and the only thing I would say is its probably worth while getting at least a genuine thermostat. In heinsight I would have got all genuine parts!

Not to bad a job apart from bleeding the coolant system once you've changed the pump. Its a proper ball-ache, and took me twice as long as actually changing the pump!

ollster, get yourself a Passat (88-92) or MKII Golf haynes manual and follow the instructions in there... it's pretty much identical to the way you do one on the 1.8 engines (8V or 16V) as it's the same pump... 8)

Get 3 new allen headed bolts as well as the rest of your list above (think they're M8x15mm from memory) to replace the ones on the waterpump pulley though as they'll almost certainly be rusty and crappy by now and be a bit of a bitch to remove! :lol:

ollster, get yourself a Passat (88-92) or MKII Golf haynes manual and follow the instructions in there... it's pretty much identical to the way you do one on the 1.8 engines (8V or 16V) as it's the same pump... 8)

Get 3 new allen headed bolts as well as the rest of your list above (think they're M8x15mm from memory) to replace the ones on the waterpump pulley though as they'll almost certainly be rusty and crappy by now and be a bit of a bitch to remove! :lol:

i have been told these are a bitch to remove but am prepared for them with my air tools :twisted: but cheers for the advice ill add them to the list.

Any more opinions on GSF vs stealers?

oh, yeah, forgot about that bit...

stealers for all the plastic bits, seals and thermostat, GSF / ECP for the pump and coolant... 8)

oh, yeah, forgot about that bit...

stealers for all the plastic bits, seals and thermostat, GSF / ECP for the pump and coolant... 8)

ok so GSF for the pump it is the only reason i asked is because i remember someone mentioning in an old post (which i now cant find lol) that the gsf pump was not up tot the standards of the vw one even though it is calssed as OE quality

I have had no troubles with any of the water pumps from GSF on my 2 G60s. The pulley bolts come out easily with an impact gun.

TBH if you are going to the trouble of changing the water pump, I'd stick a new cam belt on as well unless you know for sure it's not been very far.

Gavin

excelent cheers for all the advice people, the cam belt is the next thing on the list but as the water pump is not driven by the cam belt i will do this job first

make sure you get the correct colour g12 (red or blue) you cant mix them.

although theres now a g12+ that will mix with either (purple colour) its in a diffarent bottle to the norm too.

excelent cheers for all the advice people, the cam belt is the next thing on the list but as the water pump is not driven by the cam belt i will do this job first

But to get to the cambelt you need to take off the water pump belt and PAS belt. You will have done most of the job just by changing the water pump. No point in doing half the work twice. The bits are so cheap. Hardly any extra time really, maybe an hour tops.

Gavin

It was me that slagged off the GSF waterpump... turned out that I'd been given one that'd been returned by accident and it had a bolt missing out of it and some of the bolts were loose, hence why it leaked all over the place and overheated my engine... :roll:

The replacement one has been fine since... 8)

do the cam-belt while you're doing the pump, as Gav says, what's the point in doing 50% of the job twice?!? 8)

cheers for the info, is it worth doing the tensioner at the same time? and if so would GSF be ok again to get the belt and tensioner from?

and finally back to the coolant system its best to get:

pump from GSF

G12 + from GSF

pump to block seal from VAG

thermostat from VAG

thermostat seal from VAG

Is the above correct?

Get the cambelt and tensioner (you have to take it off anyway, so for the sake of less than £10, why risk putting an old one back on?!?) from GSF too...

yup, that list all looks OK... 8)

Good luck! 8)

HUH?

13131 TIMING BELT TENSIONER CO G60 9/88 > 11.25

13140 TIMING BELT TENSIONER CO 16V 4/89 >1/94 17.95

13141 TIMING BELT TENSIONER CO 2.0 16V Eng.9A131262> 32.50

WTF is going on there?!? why is it 3 times the cost of the G60 one and double that of the 1.8 16V?!? Come to think of it, isn't the 1.8 16V one the same as the G60 one anyway?!? :| :o

its probably becuase its my corrado and since owning it everything has gone wrong and every part has been twice the price as a normal raddo, im beggining to think i should have bought a VR6 (or a fiesta :( )