Sign in to follow this  
Adam M

dodgy becker sat nav

hi guys, need some sat nav help of my own.

have fitted a becker sat nav din size cd based unit but cant get it to behave.

plugged in gps aerial and have connected up reversing light sensor and speed pulse sensor.

Have tried twice to get it to work, this is what happened each time.

when I first connected it up I was in bradford. I set my destination and waited the ages it took to calculate a route, it told me my current position (road name) and what I should do.

at this point nothing else happened, it was not aware that I was moving. the road I was on remained the same (was correct when it found it) and the instructions did not change. when I checked current position (gps coordinates) it did appear to be changing. I gave up and listened to music instead.

next time I tried it was recently. I removed the unit and checked the speed pulse wire connection (told by darren that it was blue and white and part of the iso plug) as I thought it was not getting a signal and therefore assumed I was stationery. the connections were fine. I input my destination and again waited the age it required. It then told me exactly where I was and what I should do, but once again, my current street address did not change, nor was I getting any nearer to the point at which I should turn left or whatever (should count down in metres). This time when checking my current gps coordinates, it did not appear to be changing.

I bought the unit second hand for £250 and it is an excellent cd player so am not completely bothered, but since it came out of a mercedes or something, it isnt a recognised normally available product and I wouldnt know who to talk to to suggest how I might resolve the issue. nor could I take it to a becker dealer as it doesnt say becker on it anywhere, despite being obviously a becker from the design!

My thoughts are it could be a dodgy gps antenna. although it worked initially to work out where I was at the beginning, it doesnt appear to be changing after that, so maybe the unit was lucky to get one reading from it and is struggling to get another?

I seem to remember last time that it was at any one point telling me that it could see 6 satellites so I presumed it was working fine.

Any other ideas people?

ps. car is a G60

throw it in the bin they are naff, got one in the in laws merc tell you to turn after the exit etc!! lol

Sorry Adam,

I'm afraid I can't help you there. haven't got a clue about those.

At least youv'e still got the cd player!

becker has 1 manual that you have to read very good !!! after first time installation you should drive for about 30 miles or so, to calibrate the navigation..

just read the manual, you'll see that you have to see some satellites with a reception level in your display... then you go to drive around a bit.. best is on a straight road with no trees around... then it would calibrate and work fine..

the aerial should be in the middle of the front window and as far as possible horizontally mounted with "free sight" (not right behind your whiper but about 2 or 3 inches away from that)

Hans G60.nl, No they really are the worst in the world i've seen and i've done the calibration. Even the lasted CD appears is a year out of date!!! maybe thats just the spanish not giving them the info though.

Could be a faulty unit i guess but hey paper maps are more fun!!