Sign in to follow this  
Robo's Rado

Help ! Steering lock and ignition barrel problems

Please help, I put my key in the ignition of my M reg corrado 2L 16v yesterday and it wouldn’t turn. After getting it home on the back of a breakdown truck I tried to strip the mechanism off complete with steering lock. I drilled out the two shear bolts but the steering lock mechanism still wont come off the assembly. All the banging does seem to have freed off the barrel mechanism and I can now get the key to turn.

So I need to know how to replace the lock barrel and how to remove the steering lock.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers in advance !

Done a search and still not too sure, mines the later type with transponder key and adjustable column. Ive read that to get the steering lock off you have to break the alloy housing. If you have to do this to get the old one off how does the new one fit on ?

I also take it from what ive read that to get the old barrel out involves drilling a hole in the barrel, but i cant find where. Ive ordered a bentlys but that will probably take a week to arrive and i dont want the car off the road for that long. Does anybody know where to drill the hole ?

Insert key in the ignition, drill a 3mm hole, in line with the key, 12mm from the edge of the alloy housing nearest the key, "until stop spring of lock cylinder is visible, approx 3mm deep". then compress stop spring with a punch or similar and pull out lock cylinder with key. quoted from Bentley 48.5 hope this helps, better late than never.