Sign in to follow this  
markp

Alarm problems

Hello all,

I have been having an absolute nightmare with an alarm I had fitted by GAP security.

It is a avital maxx 1 which I know is rubbish but 1 of my friends bought it for me thinking it was a clfford, so I couldn't say no!

What happens is after I switch the car off a fan kicks in about 10 minutes later. This fan seems to be feeding back to the ignition switch because as soon as it kicks in the alarm goes off. The diagnostics on the alarm unit say that it is the ignition switch that is causing the alam to go off.

I am out of ideas, the guy tried to isolate the ignition switch so it wouldn't feed back to it but it has made no difference.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem, or has some ideas on how to fix it please let me know because it is driving me and all my neighbours mad!!!

Many thanks

markp, Welcome to the forum...

It could be the fan triggering a sensor which is setup to be too sensitive...

Most alarm fitters are complete muppets - take it back to them to fix or ask them to get a proper autoelectrician to have a look, if they can't sort it then tell them to take it back out and refund you.

Do you have an ultrasonic sensor installed on the setup? Could be a bit of a wimp (over sensitive).

Thanks guys, It has got an ultrasonic sensor on it but the sensitivity is turned right down.

When the alarm goes off and I disarm it, it flashes a certain number of times to tell me what caused it. The number of flashes indicates that it is the ignition!? What is also strange is that when the fan kicks in and I try to arm the alarm it won't arm, this is exactly what happens if the key is in the ignition and I press the button.

I have had the guy out 3 times to look at it now and I am going to see him again tommorrow. Last time he said that it could be something wrong with the cars ignition?

Any ideas?

I would just rip the alarm out but I havn't got the money to buy another 1 and I have also had audi door handles put on without locks so I need keyless entry. Unless that is if I start climbing in through the boot!! :-)

He should be able to isolate it with a diode I would have thought. I have a snag on my MK3, when you stop and turn the ign off at night the headlights stay on even with the switch set off, until you turn the blower fan off. The fan is also running with the ign off???????

The power that feeds the fan is running back into the car and up the ign live. It could be where they have taken the ign live from too I guess. It should go to the black wire from the ign switch.

Some later Cs have a wire that comes live when the key is in the ign but in the off position, this wire allows you to listen to the radio without turning the ign on.

Gavin