Sign in to follow this  
DelMonty

Cooling system work

Hi all,

This weekend I shall be replacing the heater matrix and aux water pump in my VR. I've bought all the bits, and have been told that:

A.) A genuine VW heater matrix does not come with the safety pressure bypass value, and that the valve was installed between the pipes on the engine side of the firewall going into the heater matrix. This bypass valve (sold seperately) was discontinued a year ago apparently, but I remember reading on here that the matrix has this valve built in (if the part number is suffixed with a B, which my new VW patent matrix isn't by the way).

B.) The independant garage I trust with working on my car recommend G11 (as stated next to the expansion tank) and not G12, as apparently the G12 isn't recommended for cars with steel pipes in the cooling system (not sure if the VR has these), and they say that whenever they've used G12, it seems to be quite corrosive, as pink fluffy rings sprout from various joins around the cooling system. When I came to buying the coolant from the VW dealership, they said G11 had been supeseeded by G12 and that I should use that. I've bought the G12, just wondering if anyone who has used it for awhile has had any problems with it?

Thanks,

James

you can't buy either G11 OR G12 from VW now, it's all G12+ which has replaced both. G12+ is safe to use in all previous G11 or G12 (none plus) engines.

The parts monkey you spoke to is incorrect. The heater matrix they now sell should have the B suffix which is the replacement part for the original, if not then they've given you an old stock part for a 1.8 G60 or 16V.

The B part DOES have the safety valves built in, or at least is of a different internal construction so that it doesn't need them (can't remember which to be honest)

The VR6 matrix should have the valves built in anyway as the recall only affected the early cars, later ones had the B suffix heater matrix as standard (The recall valves don't stop 'em leaking, it just stops 'em exploding!)

I too am about to undertake this job as my original matrix burst a while back and I'm starting to get cold in the mornings on the way to work!

I was supposed to replace mine last weekend, but didn't have the time so will be undertaking the lovelly task this weekend.

Anyhow, my matrix (bought from VW), part number 1H1 819 031 B, is from a mkIV golf apparently. They are the same now and this is the only matrix VW should sell you for a Corrado. I have checked and it is identical to the C one, and has the valve built in (so I've been informed from various sources).

Dutch

...having just looked at my matrix though, I don't see how the valve could be built into it to be honest, or it's invisible! :?

Guess they have a different internal construction so they don't need one, as Henny said.

Dutch

sorry to go abit off topic, but could somebody tell me what the below valve is called as mine is broken beyond repair but i dont know the name of it. Its part of the piping come from the matrix -> engine. it also has a small pipe coming from it which i assume is overflow but on my engine the pipe has been sealed at the end and isn't connected to anything, where should this go? back into the resourvior?

here is the picture (call me van gogh):

oh and the text says "pipe" although its not v clear lol

Whats your corrado bud? Looks almost like the valve that was fitted as a recall on golf mkIIs to stop the matrix blowing. I know they gave problems if the collant was drained the valve often stuck.

No idea if this was a raddo recall though. Sorry if im confusing things. Henny will def know the answer to this for you when hes back on me thinks.

its a 1991 1.8 valver. i believe your right that it was added as a recall and it acts like a no-return valve. but i wanted to see if GSF do them but i dont know waht to ask them for lol.

NickVR6, It's the same valve as the MK2 Golf - fitted to the Corrado as a recall a few years ago.

Mad-Axl - we (GSF) don't sell the valves.

I wouldn't worry too much - my G60 has never had the valves fitted. It still has the original matrix & has covered 120000 miles with no problems.

They beefed up the matrixes so you don`t need the bypass valve. My `89 Golf hasn`t had the bypass done and it`s been fine (100k), also the bypass valves are prone to blocking up which lowers the cabin temp.

The parts monkey you spoke to is incorrect. The heater matrix they now sell should have the B suffix which is the replacement part for the original, if not then they've given you an old stock part for a 1.8 G60 or 16V.

I *think* I have been given the right matrix, I say think, as the part number does have the B suffix on the invoice, but below that something else is written.

Attached is a pic of the invoice.

Also is there a way to tell from the invoice if that coolant VW sold is G12, or G12+ (I should be picking up the parts later on today).

Thanks

Hmmm, my matrix has part number 1H1 819 031 B, where as yours is 1H2.....!?

Not sure why the third digit is different though!? Check the part number on the actual part when you pick it up to confirm.

You shoul dhave G12+ as VW don't sell G11 or G12 anymore.

Dutch

The recall valves have been discontinued but apparently VW are thinking of prodicing more towards the end of this year / start of next. In the mean time, I've bypassed the recall valve in Mad-Axl's diagram so I can get lovely hot air in my car in the cold mornings..... it's been almost 6 months of coldness and now it's awesome. I really need to fix it properly, I've blocked the return feed with a screwdriver and a jubilee clip. Longer copper pipe anyone? Or even a spare valve???

I went to the dealership at lunch to pick up the bits, and the heater matrix had the suffix A. The parts guy said B superseeded A, but they had A in their storeroom, saying it's the same part that's in your car now, and that B "probably has a different seal", so he clearly didn't know. I said I would like to have part B and would wait for it to come in. Just goes to show it's worth knowing these things (thanks guys, this forum is great ;) ), otherwise I would of took home and fitted part A (dash out, something I don't want to do more than once is pos :) ), without the value to prevent it exploding!

Looking back when he said "it's the same one that's in your car now", I should of said 'yes, and that exploded on me!'. :)

Thanks for the help guys, it's a shame we can't all meet up and tackle our heater matrix replacement jobs at the same time.

christ, could you imagine the amount of bits that'd be lying around if we got a mob of us together to all sort our various matrix problems at once! :crazyeyes: Dashboards in all directions! :lol:

:)

...out of interest, what other bits did you buy to do the matrix job? I've just got the matrix and a few jubilees?

A mate of mine from VW, who has replaced 3 Corrado matrix's this year already, is helping with the job and he got the parts for me. I presume we need nothing more as he says we don't?

Dutch

I bought a new auxillary water pump, as mine recently gave up, a new expansion tank cap (I've heard a faulty one of these is the most common problem of coolant loss and I plan to renew the coolant after changing the matrix and aux water pump), and 4.5 litres (3 bottles) of G12+. I also plan to by some fabric tape (to try and stop some rattles whilst the dash is out), and some Autoglym Interior Shampoo, to give the carpet around the matrix area a good clean whilst the dash is out, as when the old heater matrix went the carpet was sodden, and now smells a bit off.

From what I gather if your only changing the matrix, a new matrix (and lots of time by the sound of it :) ) is all you need.

I'm also taking the matrix replacement guide the guy from Canada wrote, and some pics from the Bently Workshop Manual CD.

James

Good idea on cleaning the carper while the dash is out. :thumbleft:

I haven't checked mine to be honest, but I don't notice any odd smells when driving. Might get some carpet shampoo though to make sure.

I have the Canadian C sites guide too, but am confident my mate can sail through it based on his previous experiences with C matrix's. Fingers crossed!!

My aux pump is making a noise too as it goes, but will leave it until it goes totally as the dealer wants 125 euro's for a new one!?

Anyhow, cheers and good luck with the replacement...

Dutch

that valve turned out to be about £25 so i just drilled the mechanism out of mine, which will do me. No more cold mornings :)

yup, just a matrix and 2 jubilees... Oh, and 2 bits of metal pipe to remove the bunged up crappy recall valves! :twisted: :lol: