Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

Is it possible to chrome the spring tensioner????????

not if you cant dismantle it but it must be possible ive seen them for sale on german egay while were on the subject does anybody know what bushes are needed to rebush these?

You cant just buy the bushes for them, you have to buy the complete tensioner at about £100 from the stealers.

However you could do what I did and get poly bushes for a triumph cross member I think it was then have new metal inserts made at an engineering company, cost me about £30 IIRC and works a treat!

See my members gallery post for all the info!!!!

I have some bushes that replace the std ones. Made with my own fair hands from blue poly.

PM me Bill if you are interested.

Gavin

Yep, they're only about £55 from the dealer now but as mentioned it is posible to rebush them...

I had to buy a new one as mine was so worn that the spring was rubbing on the damper and grinding the paint away so even after new bushes it wouldn't have worked properly...

Actually they are more like £100 as I looked into buying one buying one about a few months ago when I rebushed mine!

But can I jsut say that this topic is entitled "Is it possible to chrome the spring tensioner????????" Not How do I rebush a spring tensioner. There are lots of threads on rebushing them!

:offtopic1: I don't know what dealer that you use but every other dealer seems to be twice the price than the one you use!!!!!!! :offtopic1:

Sam, your problem with chroming it would be making sure that the seals don't get any chemicals on 'em during the process which would damage them meaning that it'll leak...

Well I'm going to pick up all my bolts from the chromers tomorrow so i'll take it to them then!

Do you know how to strip down the tensioner so I can remove the spring as I doubt that it would be a good idea to chrome that.

no idea. I just fitted a new one on my engine rebuild 'cos the old one was shafted... :|