Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Changed the heater matrix

Well, spent 7 hours yesterday with a friend changing the heater matrix. Not so bad once you get into it.

One thing though - does it matter which way round the pipes in the engine bay connect to the matrix? I've just realised I've connected them the wrong way round!?

Also, the Canadian C's guide missed 3 screws (see pic with yellow arrows). These screws are located behind the oval air vent and one either side if it and down a bit from it. We had to remove the matrix and motor assembly first so we could access the middle screw before we could actually remove the dash!

Anyhow, I have very hot air in the cabin again and am well chuffed with the resulting rattle & squeek free dash.

Bring on the next job (which should hopefully have even more satisfying results!)

Dutch

does it matter which way round the pipes in the engine bay connect to the matrix? I've just realised I've connected them the wrong way round!?

The matrix has arrows showing which way the water should flow, not sure how important this is though.

Managed to change mine as well yesterday, wasn't too bad a job, took 2 of us about 5 - 6 hours, the real pain was clipping the matrix pipes back in - those clips which need to be clamped around the pipes are horrid things! Got rid of a few dashboard rattles as well :), but the horn no longer works :( - shouldn't be too hard to fix.

It's so nice to have hot air once again, especially as its getting cold in the mornings now. VEry glad it's over and done woth, I don't want to do that again in a hurry! :)