Sign in to follow this  
OrbitAl

vr6 or S3?

Ok i need help!!! Due to itchy feet(mental rather than physical trait) i am thinking about selling my C for an Audi S3. My C is black '96 regd with Full black heated leather with just under 70k.Thinking about a Y? plate S3.Havent actually been out on the road in one but having sat in a couple on the forecourt was v impressed with the finish and what appears bombproof build quality.The performance stats are good and the lure of 4WD is appealing ,however, since my head is full of mince over this im looking for any of my forum colleagues to give me their opinions.Just wonder if i go for it (do i need to???) will i regret it.Anyone with any good/bad experience of S3 especially welcome. Ordo ab chao! Ps what should i ask for the C?

Ok i need help!!! Due to itchy feet(mental rather than physical trait) i am thinking about selling my C for an Audi S3. My C is black '96 regd with Full black heated leather with just under 70k.Thinking about a Y? plate S3.Havent actually been out on the road in one but having sat in a couple on the forecourt was v impressed with the finish and what appears bombproof build quality.The performance stats are good and the lure of 4WD is appealing ,however, since my head is full of mince over this im looking for any of my forum colleagues to give me their opinions.Just wonder if i go for it (do i need to???) will i regret it.Anyone with any good/bad experience of S3 especially welcome. Ordo ab chao! Ps what should i ask for the C?
Incoming!!!!

Your C sounds very nice, but they don't seem to be fetching that much these days, I reckon if you are prepared to wait, you will get a fair amount for yours tho.

I have heard some people prefer the S3 to the 225TT, but I would be very tempted to get the TT, what about a 225 Leon R tho? probably a bit quicker then an S3 once rolling, being FWD.

I was tempted few years ago to sell my C for an S3, they are really nice to drive, you can get good power out of them,but i like the look of the C better,and the sound of the VR6. :D

Cheers folks.Yip thought about the Seat but with the new model coming out (performance one nxt year)reckon value will bomb.TT not for me im afraid s3 far more practical.Know what your saying Radostorm the c sounds soooo good.

the C is soo good, just not soo reliable, mine has been off the road a fair amount of time although if you got a low mileage VR it will probably have less things go wrong as a general rule.

1996 VR6 with full black heated leather (if non-recaro, just standard seats) with lower than average miles, I would have said £5.5 to £6k is a fair price to advertise if the car is mint condition with full VAGSH with all necessary bits present and correct and would accept £5 to £5.5k when haggling. Just don't seem to be making as strong money recently. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers

yea me too, if it was for an every day car, get an s3 and remap it, handling might not be quite as good but I reckon that would be outweighed m=by the car generally. But an S3 can't be had for £6k anyway so bit of a pointless comparison.

Hell yes me too ill get the s3 anyday reason being newer everything excellent cars alround, the vr6 feels a bit old and dated as for power ummmm we all need superchargers to keep up with all this new machines on the road.

appreciate ur comments so far.The S3 im looking to spend around 12/13k max so no comparison being made Samm,just checking to see if the money difference is made up for in a better car.Anyone hears of an S3 going for this amount or less please keep me in mind!

Got it cheers mate.Unfortunately need to sell the C first.Noticed the ebayers are undercutting the forecourts on average 1.5/2k! The checks you can do take away most of the risk as well.Thanks again mate.

Make sure you give forum folks first crack at the Corrado if you do decide to sell it, rather than sending it straight to Autotrader! It sounds like a wonderful example.. very very desirable spec and colour combo! :)

he was / is.... but not sure about going back to a corrado.

anyway...

S3... great car. but a completely different car to the corrado so dont be too disappointed to start off with.

With the 17s and crap tyre pressures there very wallowy and have alot of understeer (as i found out). But with the 18s and 32psi front and 36psi rear then its a completely different beast. I never get any understeer anymore... just grip grip and more grip.

Get it remaped and it will take a VERY quick car to come past you. 270bhp is easily acheivable for around £500.

Interior is amazing quality... much better than the seat leon.

Dont get the TT... the have a crap suspension set up... audi messed around with the ARBs to make them "safer" as the gay TT drivers kept spinning them and of course.... it MUST have been the cars fault!

Make sure you get a post face lift car. the face lift gave them one peice headlights and a revised interior and they hold their value better. £13k will get you a nice car (one ALMOST as nice as mine that is)

oh and please get the full leather! either black or silver... dont get the half leather with the coloured alcantara... its disgusting!!!

options were:

heated seats = rare

sunroof

rear parking sensors

alu mirrors = waste of money (i sold mine and put on colour coded ones)

cruise = wish mine had that

bose stereo = must have... most have it

sat nav = rare and not necessary due to tomtom

thats about it... feel free to ask more specific questions if you want

:D

What do you need to know bud as I have both and drive them reqularly??

As everyone has said they are completely different cars, the S3 is quick and is more snappy than the C, partly due to the 4wd and the 1.8 engine.

However there is no substitue for the sound and pulling poer of that 2.9 VR6 lump on full song.

I would say its horses for courses, both have their good and bad points but I wouldnt get rid of eiter of them.

oh and please get the full leather! either black or silver... dont get the half leather with the coloured alcantara... its disgusting!!!

:p Mine looks very nive thankyou! :p

LOL, you can edit your own posts Jimbo mate :-)

I eyed up S3s when I went through a dispondant phase with my VR and Jedi's is/was lovely when he took me out in it, but I've kind of grown out of them recently. I think the only way forward for me from a charged VR is a Porsche 993. They've got the same old school appeal as a Corrado and to me they feel similar on the road....until you go round a corner or jump on the brakes that is :-)

But S3s are a good investment, look nice, go nice and grip nice, quids in really.

LOL, you can edit your own posts Jimbo mate :-)

Cheers Kev, I must be loosing it in my old age, I used to be able to remove strip down and re-install a bug engine in an afternoon, now I struggle with editing a post!

Pass me my zimmer frame (supercharged with NOS of course!) :-)

I must admit when the funds allow, I will be parting company with the S3 for a 993! :wink:

Thanks again folks.Took the C out for a wee drive and came back asking myself why the hell im considering parting but hey!!! If i do sell her ,no worries Jim, the forum would be first port of call.Just for info though my C had a rear end shunt Oct 2003 (6 days after i got her and was off the road for a month as the repairer(Arnold Clark) had trouble sourcing a rear bumper.Admittedly they did an excellent job and there is no detrimental effect to the car.She only has a part SH as the previous company owners lost the service book but all MOTs are available and bear out the mileage 69524 as we speak.She currently sits on 17" TT alloys but the original 15" Speedlines have been kept:) If she goes believe me the new owner will not be disappointed.