Sign in to follow this  
20valver

Non starter...

This morning went to start it and starter motor turned over but no action from the lump. The starter motor made a nasty wiiring sound as I backed off the ignition. I'd had the front of the car up on axel stands for a while last nite, copper greasing my brakes, and during this time i had the radio on. I had to resort to bumping it, which worked first time. After that I turned her off, and then she started fine.

So what the verdict....

new battrey

starter motor on way out

feeble fuel pump

other

I know it works fine now, but that could be a right nightmare if plays up again in the wrong place.

I've found an almost totally dead battery will just click the solenoid, making a rapid clicking noise.

A fast whirring noise means the starter might be a bit sitcky and when it's spun it doesn't come out of it's housing to connect with the flywheel.

This happened to me, so I popped the started off, cleaned off all the gunk from it and lubed it up, and it doesn't happen anymore... :D

Could be the starter, mine had a loose/dodgy connection when i got the car but if your unsure of the age oof the battery you may as well change it anyways just for the piece of mind - Bosch ones are so cheap now from GSF and there top quality

Could be the solenoid thats broken & the whirring is the starter not engaged on the flywheel

mine from time to time makes a high pitch whinning noise usually in a garage forecourt when there are loads of people about im assured its the starter not engaging and just need cleaning,could be the same prob ?

funky