Sign in to follow this  
SIG60

Window problem with a difference!

Since I bought the car the pasenger window hasnt worked and have never got round to fixing, I have read on here all the problems people get and tonight thought I would have a look for myself!

Please see below, Is this right?? There is also a broken cable hanging down.

My years of office experience with no knowledge of car fixing is not helping me, however I really want to guess.............. The cable has broken (which must do something with the window?)- Window falls down? -Bolt put in to stop above mentioned window from falling down- by Mr Bodge it??

Yep, your guess is spot on. The reason Mr bodge it did that and scarpered is because a replacement regulator (including new motor) from VW is £180+VAT. Considering how often the passenger window is used, it's understandable, but frustrating when people do things like that all the same.

I'm afraid a new or s'hand regulator is the only way to get life into that glass again. A good s'hand one won't have had much use, so you should be OK. PM Bigpantsbaby, he's almost certainly got one available, as I think he's a VW breaker by trade.

Certainly is, but I didn't want to break that to him just yet :-)

Just make sure you have a decent rivet gun handy that can handle BIG rivets!

Oh Great!!

Job for the garage me thinks!! Maybe the pasenger window wasnt that important after all!! :brickwall:

It's definitely DIY, but fiddly. The whole regulator assembly comes out as one big lump and as you've seen already, access isn't exactly generous.

It's one of those things where once you've undone everything, you'll be scratching your head and wondering how the heck VW did it....but after a while you'll get the angle right and it'll slide right out :-)