Sign in to follow this  
WONGA

Alternator fooked!!!!!!!

missus drove the rado to work today and on the way home it died on her,called nice AA man and found the alternator to be dead so he charged batt up for me to get home.

So I need to know where;s the best place to get an alternator as a good price and what amp should I get 65a or 90a??

What engine mate as the VR ones are different to 4 cyl cars.

VR ones are expensive to rebuild, so it's cheaper to replace them, about £100 exchange for a 70A from VW.

I was thinking of replacing the brushes but i think its a 2nd hand alt that was put on there by a previous owner!!

Ive been ringing around today for one and have been getting silly prices like £125, £166 £140.....

Is this about right for an alt?

My rado is an early 1992 on the verge of Mk1/Mk2 its a 2.0 16v.

Is mine a 70amp or a 90amp??

Yeah Alts are quite expensive. I think a replacement diode pack will suffice in all honesty. It's only when the bearings and commutator wear out that you need to replace the whole unit.

Not sure what the standard 2.0 alt is, probably 70 amp I would have thought. It's also the standard rating on the VR6. Air con cars had 90a as standard tho.

if the 2ltr use the same as the 1.8 valver then pm robbymac as he's currently breaking about 3 engine and i sure he'll do you a good price, if you get no reply by tomorrow pm me your number and i'll pass it to him

my alternator is makin a whining dry bearing kinda noise, would vw take mine as a trade for a 90amp? Mines a standard vr one, 70 i guess?