Sign in to follow this  
goneinG60seconds

who knows this?????????

somebody help me please!!

I have a 91 corrado g60 and it has different sized front wings on.

One side has a wider arch on it than the other.

the wider arch matches nicely with the bumper so .............

The question I need answering is, what is the wider arch off?

Is it off an early model, late model, vr6????????????????????

Around early to mid 1992 they basically gave the end of run G60's what is known as the 'later' front end - the rear bumper was slightly different, the bonnet got a bulge, the front bumper was different and the wings were wider. This was all for the later cars (the VR6, the 8v, and the 2.0 16v).

It sounds like you just got a replacement later wing fitted after an accident - how the bodyshop never even noticed the difference is beyond me. Anyway, your car being a 91 G60 should have the earlier, slightly narrower one.. so look for anyone breaking a 1.6 16v or a pre-facelift G60 if you want to get it sorted :)

Around early to mid 1992 they basically gave

Actually Jim, I think it was from 1990 onwards that the wing was reshaped because the tread tyre width on the G60 was widened. Haven't got the article with me but seem to remember it was only two 2 years production. I'll check the little gem tonite, a little snip in a magazine at the time.

Ooh.. ok Chris, that'd be helpful. I only ever thought that the widened wings were part of the facelift but happy to stand corrected :)

RW1, are you sure about this? My '91 G60 definately has narrower wings than my '92 G60 'cos the wheels off my '92 wouldn't clear the arches on the '91... :|

Actually Jim, I think it was from 1990 onwards that the wing was reshaped because the tread tyre width on the G60 was widened. Haven't got the article with me but seem to remember it was only two 2 years production. I'll check the little gem tonite, a little snip in a magazine at the time.

Are you sure you weren't on VW's payroll? :lol:

The Corrado front wings changed with the introduction of the 1991 models in August 1990 but the article I referred to earlier was:

Volkswagen Audi Car – October 1991 edition, page 62.

“CORRADO WINGS

From July ’90, the flange of the wings and the shape of the wing-liners of Corrados were modified to give greater clearance.”

The parts list reflects this if looked up on the fische and EKTA 6.02.

-------------------------------------------

Also, Bulletin No. 3 dated February 1991 in the General Body Repairs Workshop Manual has the following, which confirms the press article:

ALL MODELS.

“To attain sufficient tyre clearance in the wheel housing, the mudwing flange has been modified from 07.90.

In conjunction with this the wheel housing liner was also modified in the connecting area.

After stocks of the old wheel housing liner are exhausted only the modified liners will be offered in the parts programme.”

It goes on to state that old & new combinations can be done whilst the body work mudwing & liners need to be modified suitably.

Mudwing is german translation for the metal front wings.

It’s also worth noting that different wing liners are used on the later 16v (8v), G60, VR6 after the wings changed, presumably to take the different tyre widths from 195 to 205mm and different suspension damping rates.

----------------------------

In simple terms, any Corrado from chassis 50KK000001 to 50LK027000 (September 1988 – July 1990 build date) was made with the early front wings. As stated above once stocks of the early front wing spares ran out, only a newer wing could be bought new if accident damage occurred. Odd wings = been repaired. That couldn't have lasted more than 2 years or there abouts.

Of course old style model new car stock may have been held by VAG at Milton Keynes built prior to August 1990 so some 1991 registration plate year C's would have early front wings which may answer your point Steve ie. (H registered platers but I doubt "J's onwards").

Myth into reality :)

-------

Payroll - wot! and take a 95% pay cut - I should charge them for their consultancy demands. The local dealership ask me how to tune a G60 last month cos no one knew how to anymore!

RW1, I would never dispute your knowlege Chris . :thumbleft:

I do know of at least one of these late registered cars (J) though. I can only assume that these later registrations are a reflection on the problems that VW had selling these cars at (what was at the time) a rather expensive price.

Yeah, I was going to put that point in as 1991 but didn't have the facts. 1991 was a bbbbiiiggg depression year (house crash start and all that) and I remember beating up a VW dealer saleman over a new Scirocco to reduced the on the road price from £12,900 to £10,000.01, (yes 1p to put my personal plate on it!). So the C's at £17,000ish would have sat around a while particularly the more expensive G60 at £20,000ish.

I'm puzzled about that as the parts list goes onto March 1991 for it's application.

Facts were promised for Jim..... :)

RW1, ah, that clears that up nicely then... Cheers... 8) :notworthy:

*wonders if anyone else can ever get access to RW1s secret library* ;)